• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zinc in the motor oil

RdChicken

Reaction score
I don't know if this topic has been covered, but I was just wondering what everyone else is using for motor oil now that the zinc is gone? I'm still not sure on what oils are good or what additives to use. I was using Mobil 1 full synthetic and now I'm in the market for an oil change any suggestions?

dobie

Reaction score
I use Mobil 1 15w-50, plus a bottle of Comp Cams break in lube.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Brad Penn 10/40 in my engine's in all my cars even the leaning tower of power!

On a new engine Brad Penn 30 with the old type of GM EOS(heavy Zinc) before the tree huggers come along.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have been seeing a lot of the Joe Gibbs oil lately how does it hold up? Everyone keeps telling me to try aimoils. It has more Zinc than Valvoline, but I just thought I could add an additive if needed.

moparchris

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
I have been seeing a lot of the Joe Gibbs oil lately how does it hold up? Everyone keeps telling me to try aimoils. It has more Zinc than Valvoline, but I just thought I could add an additive if needed.
I like it. The hydraulic flat tappet cams are much quiter with it. :cents:

jays69bird

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
It was suggested to me to use Rotella 20/50!
I used to use Rotella 15W40 in my Mercruiser boat motor that I used to have (3.0L) because it had zinc however I have read that the zinc is gone from that. Right now I use castrol with the Zinc break in additive sold at Advance Auto, in my runner.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Right now I have a storage bin overflowing with bottles of red STP so I will be set for years to come. :yesnod:

zupanj

Reaction score
While we are on this topic I wondered if anyone knew whether the zinc is needed only for break-in of hydraulic cams or is it needed for everyday use as well. I was under the impression that it was only needed for the break-in run.

By the way my hemi wiped out a cam the first time on the dyno because of this. They used a CompCams additive that didn't work, obviously. I believe that Comp put out a new formula shortly after that. My engine wasn't the only one, there were of number of posts on 'Parts about that time. That was about 4 years ago I think.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
zupanj said:
While we are on this topic I wondered if anyone knew whether the zinc is needed only for break-in of hydraulic cams or is it needed for everyday use as well. I was under the impression that it was only needed for the break-in run.

By the way my hemi wiped out a cam the first time on the dyno because of this. They used a CompCams additive that didn't work, obviously. I believe that Comp put out a new formula shortly after that. My engine wasn't the only one, there were of number of posts on 'Parts about that time. That was about 4 years ago I think.
Jack, I think the way folks are going through fuel pump rods I would use it in a hydraulic motor also. Everything new is roller now with electric pumps, so no worries

Back