• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas Gauge Issues

dobie

Reaction score
Hmm. Ok. Thanks for the help. I'll try this later tonight hopefully and see how it goes.

Thanks!!

:cheers:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Use a toothy clip with a wire from the unit to a good looking ground on the car like a bumper.

A "toothy" clip???

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:
Use a toothy clip with a wire from the unit to a good looking ground on the car like a bumper.

A "toothy" clip???
Like a gator, all I could think of was roach at the time :lmao:
That road runner will look funny going down the road with all those feathers hanging under the tank........ :lmao:

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's a ground issue. I made a couple of ground wires and tried them several places on the car. I also unhooked the one I had on originally and there was still no change, mirroring what Basket said a few days ago.

Anyways, back to square one....... :brickwall:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
...bend the float arm until it reads correctly...like I told you on Friday... :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nuther thing to check...I've heard of floats getting pinholes and getting gas in them.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, we checked that when the sending unit was out. It seemed to be ok......

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Geez... you know what we need to do.... Build an inspection jig for the float.

Something like a section of the front part of the gas tank. You would set the float assembly in it and bend the arm to fit the jig just like it was in the tank.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
Geez... you know what we need to do.... Build an inspection jig for the float.

Something like a section of the front part of the gas tank. You would set the float assembly in it and bend the arm to fit the jig just like it was in the tank.
Anyone got a tank to donate I have a toothy little saw to cut it with :lmao:

A12

Reaction score
dobie said:
Wow. Very interesting.

I'll have to try for a better ground then. Any ideas?

Another question: What is this "Tester C-3826?" It's obviously a test meter or something, but can these be bought today? Or, is there something similar which works just the same?

Thanks!!

Me thinks it's an adjustable voltage regulator for the 5-volt supply at the gauge. 5-volts unregulated I would think should indicate FULL and when the Tester C-3826 is set to the "H", "M" positions the voltage is regulated to 2.5 V for half and 1.25 for 1/4 or something on that order?? If you could regulate the voltage to the gauge from 1-5 volts I guess you could check it or is that :loco: on my thinking.

More thinking out loud or on the keyboard; with the tank full or the float all of the way up should there be 5 volts at the gauge and at the float sending unit? If there is then I would think the gauge is the problem if it is not indication FULL?

My fuel gauge was working correctly until I decided to check the filter on the tank pick-up. I was very careful not to bend, tweak or disrupt the float arm (at least I thought I was) but the next time I filled the tank the gauge needle was just shy by about 1/16" of the 3/4 mark :brickwall: Would it make sense to check the voltage at the gauge with the tank full and expect to read 5 volts? Anyone have the voltage specs for the fuel level graduations? Thanks.

MikeR

toms69rr

Reaction score
Mine was working fine,Aftermarket tank and sending unit
But after thee third tank fill up,just this weekend started doing the same thing.
I am going to run it this weekend get most of the gas out then pull sending unit.
Let you know what I find out.It took ten gallons before the gauge even moved.
things that make you go Hum.

dobie

Reaction score
A12 said:
dobie said:
Wow. Very interesting.

I'll have to try for a better ground then. Any ideas?

Another question: What is this "Tester C-3826?" It's obviously a test meter or something, but can these be bought today? Or, is there something similar which works just the same?

Thanks!!

Me thinks it's an adjustable voltage regulator for the 5-volt supply at the gauge. 5-volts unregulated I would think should indicate FULL and when the Tester C-3826 is set to the "H", "M" positions the voltage is regulated to 2.5 V for half and 1.25 for 1/4 or something on that order?? If you could regulate the voltage to the gauge from 1-5 volts I guess you could check it or is that :loco: on my thinking.

More thinking out loud or on the keyboard; with the tank full or the float all of the way up should there be 5 volts at the gauge and at the float sending unit? If there is then I would think the gauge is the problem if it is not indication FULL?

My fuel gauge was working correctly until I decided to check the filter on the tank pick-up. I was very careful not to bend, tweak or disrupt the float arm (at least I thought I was) but the next time I filled the tank the gauge needle was just shy by about 1/16" of the 3/4 mark :brickwall: Would it make sense to check the voltage at the gauge with the tank full and expect to read 5 volts? Anyone have the voltage specs for the fuel level graduations? Thanks.

MikeR

I wish I had a way to test that. Now here's something else for ya then: Why would the gauge work when the sending unit is out of the tank, uninstalled? I opened up the tank last night and was able to look in and see the float with no indication of it taking on gas..... Weird........

dobie

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
...bend the float arm until it reads correctly...like I told you on Friday... :brickwall:

Well, 2 days ago I finally got around to yanking out the sending unit. Had to take the tank out too.... Grr....... Anyways, I did what you said, and bent the float arm. Because the float was always reading empty, it made snese to bend the arm up, raising the float level. I finally got it back in yesterday and filled her up. Now, it's worse than it was...... On a full tank it goes only to 1/4 tank, and before it went up to a 1/2 tank. Oh well.

Also, I looked at original sending unit last night. That one had a short arm, and mine currently has the longer float arm. Do I somehow have the wrong sending unit by chance??

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Something just occured to me while reading this. I, like many of you guys have tried bending the float rod without the results we are looking for. We all know that the rod is bent at several different angles. So the question I have is, where is the rod being bent? Is it in the middle, or either end. My thought is depending on where we bend it , could that change the angle at the reading end and throw off how the gauge is reading the level?

Back