• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which RR did the 26 radiator come with?

nicanor

Reaction score
I have a 26 inch radiator in the car but was told the stock one for this car was 24 inches. How do you know what radiator came with what model Roadrunner? I'm probably not going to change the radiator but it will have to be re-cored by the time I'm done building the car. I had it flushed and they said the interior was good now, but the walls were weak and probably would not take a lot of pressure and is already starting to leak.

Thanks,
Barry

Collin

Reaction score
I think the stock 383 cars came with a 22 inch radiator, if the car was ordered with the "Max Cooling" package which was standard on A12 and Hemi cars you got the 26" radiator. Not sure if i am correct here......

Build sheet would tell you this info, the 383 could have come with either based on how it was ordered, as I have leared if you have the 054 radiator do NOT get rid of it! Have it re-built

droptop

Reaction score
A/C cars had a 26" and any gear ratio of 3:90 or higher. As well as the hemi and 6 bbl cars as already stated.

A31PKG

Reaction score
droptop said:
...any gear ratio of 3:90 or higher...

Not so... Axle packages for the 383 powered cars began with 3:55 gears. For the Hemi's they began with 3:54.

Basically - with respect to Road Runners - any axle package-equipped car, any A/C car, and all Hemi's got the 26" radiator.

:cheers:

droptop

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
droptop said:

Not so... Axle packages for the 383 powered cars began with 3:55 gears. For the Hemi's they began with 3:54.

Basically - with respect to Road Runners - any axle package-equipped car, any A/C car, and all Hemi's got the 26" radiator.

I thought the 3.55 was the standard gear for a '69 383 Road Runner, or was it a 3.23? My F3 that I had back in the day was a 3.55 s/g with a 22" rad. And it never ran hot.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Correction: Typically the standard rear end for 383 cars was a 3.23 peg leg (open - non Sure Grip) 8-3/4" rear end.

A31PKG

Reaction score
droptop said:
A31PKG said:
droptop said:

I thought the 3.55 was the standard gear for a '69 383 Road Runner, or was it a 3.23? My F3 that I had back in the day was a 3.55 s/g with a 22" rad. And it never ran hot.

Two possibilites. First, someone could have changed the rear. Second, It could have been in an accident and then had a 22" core support installed. Did it have 2 extra half leaves on the right side? Do you have the data tag numbers handy?

mcmopar

Reaction score
You could order any ratio you wanted, with or without the Sure Grip, so if it was a dealer ordered car they could have ordered any combo they desired. If it was ordered by a customer the same thing applied. It is quite possible that the car was ordered with a 3.55 Sure Grip rear end without the max. cooling package, thus resulting in the 22" radiator being installed at the factory.

A31PKG

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You could order any ratio you wanted, with or without the Sure Grip, so if it was a dealer ordered car they could have ordered any combo they desired. If it was ordered by a customer the same thing applied. It is quite possible that the car was ordered with a 3.55 Sure Grip rear end without the max. cooling package, thus resulting in the 22" radiator being installed at the factory.

:huh:

Entirely possible, I suppose, I will do a little research.....

IMO, the only reasons for ordering a non-3:23 gear (non such as in 3:55 or 3:91) would be for performance or towing? In either case, why the factory would offer that gearing without max cooling is puzzling to me.

droptop

Reaction score

:cheers:[/quote]

I thought the 3.55 was the standard gear for a '69 383 Road Runner, or was it a 3.23? My F3 that I had back in the day was a 3.55 s/g with a 22" rad. And it never ran hot.[/quote]

Two possibilites. First, someone could have changed the rear. Second, It could have been in an accident and then had a 22" core support installed. Did it have 2 extra half leaves on the right side? Do you have the data tag numbers handy?[/quote]

I purchased the car from the original owner in '79. It never had any wreck damage and it had the 100% original drive train. The engine had been rebuilt under warranty. Yes, it had the half springs in the rear. No, the data plate went to the junk yard with the car in the early 80's. :brickwall:

A31PKG

Reaction score
quote]....My F3 that I had back in the day was a 3.55 s/g with a 22" rad. And it never ran hot.[/quote]

mcmopar said:

I dug up an old copy of my '69 Dealer Order Code List manual to share, and have attached a scan of page 40. It does indeed state that the 3:55 ratio was offered by itself as an option in the Belvedere with the /6 & 318 engines only...neither of which, of course, were available in a Road Runner. Regarding 383 powered Road Runners, according to the document, the 3:23 peg-leg was standard with a sure-grip version offered as an option. Only two other ratios were offered: 3:55 & 3:91. Both of these required the ordering of an axle package, codes A36 for 3:55 & A31 for 3:91. This in turn replaced the 22" radiator & core support with 26" versions. It also got you the 7-blade fan & shroud with viscous clutch, sure-grip diff, and 2 extra half leaves on the passenger side. Droptop, based on what I'm reading, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if your car was an original Road Runner, and originally equipped with 3:55's, then it had to have come from the factory with the A36 Performance Axle Pkg with the requisite 26" core support.

Comments, corrections, and public humiliation welcomed...........
:grouphug:

pg 40.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well done on the research. That's what I love about this forum - we are all inspired to do some research and learn new stuff about our cars. :thumbsup:

A31PKG

Reaction score
If I get a chance, I'll try and make some decent copies of this dealer code list and send to 3bird. It's actually a section of a much larger brochure that dealers used to put together customer orders. I only have this section. There is no pricing, just what was available when you sat down to order your new car. It has a lot of good info. Some of it repetitious, and available elsewhere, but it might be cool to have in the reference section...

:thumbsup:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks I will be happy to do that :cheers: , my annual fall update of stuff....... well I haven't even started on it pretty busy across the board. I may wait until it starts getting really cold out to do that sort of stuff.

:snowball:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
quote]Comments, corrections, and public humiliation welcomed...........

We haven't had a good public humiliation in a while...let's go with that... :basketcase:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A31PKG said:
quote]Comments, corrections, and public humiliation welcomed...........

We haven't had a good public humiliation in a while...let's go with that... :basketcase:

:jester:
That can get annoying :jester:

Collin

Reaction score
just a quick off topic thing about the half springs in the rear. When we were re doing the inner fenders we pulled the motor and suspension and had the front end on jacks only. If you stood on one side of the car you could easily lift the car up using the axle as pivot point, however if you were to switch to the other side of the car try all you wanted...couldnt lift the thing an inch! Just a strange thing we were in awe over that we randomly discovered.

Back