• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which RR did the 26 radiator come with?

A31PKG

Reaction score
Interesting!

FWIW: the '69 Hemi-style rear suspension consists of 6 leaves on the left side, and 5 leaves with two half leaves on the bottom for the right side. This may be true for other years as well......

Collin

Reaction score
we figured it was due to the added leaves, but I dont think we anticipated the dramatic difference it would make

droptop

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
quote]....My F3 that I had back in the day was a 3.55 s/g with a 22" rad. And it never ran hot.

mcmopar said:
You could order any ratio you wanted, with or without the Sure Grip, so if it was a dealer ordered car they could have ordered any combo they desired. If it was ordered by a customer the same thing applied. It is quite possible that the car was ordered with a 3.55 Sure Grip rear end without the max. cooling package, thus resulting in the 22" radiator being installed at the factory.

I dug up an old copy of my '69 Dealer Order Code List manual to share, and have attached a scan of page 40. It does indeed state that the 3:55 ratio was offered by itself as an option in the Belvedere with the /6 & 318 engines only...neither of which, of course, were available in a Road Runner. Regarding 383 powered Road Runners, according to the document, the 3:23 peg-leg was standard with a sure-grip version offered as an option. Only two other ratios were offered: 3:55 & 3:91. Both of these required the ordering of an axle package, codes A36 for 3:55 & A31 for 3:91. This in turn replaced the 22" radiator & core support with 26" versions. It also got you the 7-blade fan & shroud with viscous clutch, sure-grip diff, and 2 extra half leaves on the passenger side. Droptop, based on what I'm reading, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if your car was an original Road Runner, and originally equipped with 3:55's, then it had to have come from the factory with the A36 Performance Axle Pkg with the requisite 26" core support.

Comments, corrections, and public humiliation welcomed...........
:grouphug:[/quote]

The one thing I have learned over the years is never say "never" or "always" when referring to Mopars. Chrysler would do what ever it took to make a sale.

A31PKG

Reaction score
The one thing I have learned over the years is never say "never" or "always" when referring to Mopars. Chrysler would do what ever it took to make a sale.

There is no arguing that statement... just offering up a little resource information...it was your car, you know how is was equipped...end of story.
:thumbsup:

Back