• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

160 or 180?

sam z

Reaction score
Ok....engine going in on Saturday. Always ran a 180 and did not
have an overheat problem. Shop suggested 160 (didn't necessarily
give a reason why).

Stats:
'72 440 HP (w/ 1972 compression)
auto
484 cam
holley 750 mech secondary
391 sg
no shroud

opinions?

A31PKG

Reaction score
Congrats on being a new daddy!

In your neck of the woods a 180 would be fine IMO with your combo.

I do believe Ma MOPAR lists a 190 as being correct in the parts catalog.

:thumbsup:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I run a 180.
160 is too cold, I needed a t-stat in a pinch one day and that's all that was in stock. I could tell that it wasn't running up to par. :cents: Knowing where you live, you'll probably want some heat too. :D

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
180 you need the heat to keep your oil from contaminating also.

moparchris

Reaction score
I always run a 160 degree t stat. It helps ward off detonation on the crap California gas in the heat. Oil will run hot enough to ward off moisture. Coolant temp isnt all its cracked up to be. I did some testing back in the day when I was a tech guy for Turbo magazine and we found (on the dyno) that coolant temp had zero influence on horsepower and torque. It is a hot topic (pun intended) among computer controlled cars since a 160 thermostat will keep the computer from going into "closed loop" and the computer used the "rich" values and th car made more power. This was before the reprogramable EEPROMs they use now where you just write whatever you want in the fuel map. Probably more useless info than is necessary but now you know. Damn I shoulda deleted the punctuation. :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I can remember Dad and my Granfather running different t stats in the summer and winter in their Chryslers when I was growing up. probably 180 in the winter and 160 in the summer.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I can remember Dad and my Granfather running different t stats in the summer and winter in their Chryslers when I was growing up. probably 180 in the winter and 160 in the summer.
Now that you mention it Dave, I remember my father doing the same thing.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Basketcase said:
Now that you mention it Dave, I remember my father doing the same thing.

Yep, same here.

The 160 did help a little with detonation and the 180 helped get a cold car warmer.

dobie

Reaction score
When I rebuilt my 383, I put in a 160. Before my minor mods, she ran at about 160-170. A year later I put in a bigger cam, heads milled, and headers put on. Now, she runs about 180 or so. No issues so far, although I havent really driven her since 2009 or early 2010.

440Kilmartin

Reaction score
I RUN A 160 TSTAT BUT THE GAUGE BASICALLY STAYS AT 180 CRUISING...190 MAX IN TRAFFIC

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The 160 was cold enough to cause my car to run lean. Oil turned black real fast as well. Put a high flow 190 in and it made everything work out great.

Back