• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1970 Dashboard removal

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Hey folks - trying to get dash out so I can replace with a new panel from Classic Ind. I took the 5 obvious screws out (I think it was 5) today but the thing does not budge.

My B-body shop guide seems to cover every B variant with a diagram but the RR for some reason, well I can't seem to find it.

If you know how to pull the dash to get access to gauges, please clue me in. Thanks.

quikbird

Reaction score
Should be 5 bolts on top by windshield and two bolts on the sides. Just need to loosen those, not take them all the way out. Steering column needs to be disconnected from dash as well

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
There are no bolts that I can see close to windshield, see pic. It's just completely smooth.

Dash windshield.JPG

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Best to pull the glass if you want the whole dash out. If you just want the cluster that can be done without pulling the windshield but I'm not familiar with a 1970

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes have to pull window. This is the only bad thing about accessing those bolts. Plus bolt one each side where kick panels are. One where E brake is and the other on passenger side. Will need to get a new gasket for the window.

richardgoesfast

Reaction score
Best to pull the glass if you want the whole dash out. If you just want the cluster that can be done without pulling the windshield but I'm not familiar with a 1970
No kidding, under the rubber. Thankfully, I only need to pull the cluster, the dash pad above is good. Matter of fact now that you mention this about pulling the windshield I bet someone redid the dash pad at some point. The gasket around the windshield is the sloppiest I've ever seen, so someone did get in there at some point. I got the simple front bolts out, but still seems locked in place. Wondering is the speedo cable is tight so it won't move.

quikbird

Reaction score
Cluster has several screws under the dash pad. Can be tough to reach. Speedo cable is attached but should have some slack enough to remove cluster far enough to detach it

Back