• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 GTX Rallye wheel backspace question

67Deluxe

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question but here goes. I have a 71 GTX that I am putting 15x7 Rallye wheels on with Goodyear Polyglas L60-15 on the rear and G60-15 on the front. My question is with the Rallye wheels. I am having a really hard time finding them and most vendors I have tried can’t really say for certain when they will have them. (I have literally called 15 places and I’m not exaggerating). I have managed to score 2 brand new 15x7’s with 4.25 backspace. I can’t find any more of these but I can find 15x7’s with 4.5 backspace on eBay. A guy has a few new ones from US Wheel. Will there be a noticeable difference if I use these two different backspace wheels? Use a spacer to make up the 1/4”? And which ones should I put on the front or back with respect to the tire size I have. Or.....just wait until I can find 2 more 4.25 backspace ones? Really wanted to have the new shoes on the GTX for Carlisle but if it’s going to look bad or just plain won’t work it will have to wait. Thank you. I always seem to get really good advice on here.

nevada dan

Reaction score
If your going to use them, which I cant see any reason why not, I would put the 4.25 on the back with the bigger tire , the wheel house is bigger on the back and the bigger tire will make it less noticeable , nobody is going to see an 1/8 inch difference especially when you have 2 different size tires , I have an 1/8 inch spacer on the right rear of mine because the rear end is not center of the body and the right tire would rub the inside wheel house going over big bumps , nobody's noticed that , I'll bet if you measured yours it wouldn't be center either, it's no big deal , put them on and see, you can always change it if you don't like it

Back