• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 Hemi Alternator

rusty

Reaction score
In my quest to bring my 71 Hemi RR back to factory matching components I now move onto my alternator.
The car currently has a Square Back design with two fields connections and a battery terminal but my research shows I should have the "1970 and 1971 “roundback” alternators with two field terminals, one protruding from each brush, for the two-terminal electronic voltage regulator."
Anyone been done this 71 Hemi path yet to save me the research?
Also I know 50 Amp was an option but I don't have the build sheet.
Thanks

Last edited:

rusty

Reaction score
Answered my own question with a little research - I need a 3438172 50 Amp alt if anyone has one let me know.

manchu2002

Reaction score
I need some insight. I have a 69 383 with Mopar electronic ignition with the pre-1970 "race only" regulator. It has the roundback alternator and I would like to upgrade to the square back with the 70 and up voltage regulator. Lights dim and stalls at idle. My question is can I use this diagram to hook it up? http://www.mymopar.com/forum_images/pic3.gif If I can what wires do I splice, since it has the electronic ignition?

Back