• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

383 to 440

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, it's been a while. Hope you and all your Runners are doing well. OK, so after continuing to find issues with my 69 after spending ungodly amounts of money on the restoration, I've decided to go from a 383 to 440. I finally found a guy that really knows these cars inside and out and I'm really happy with his work and advice.

In any event, I want to be able to swap as many of my parts from the 383 as I can. I understand that MOST stuff will work. I have the Eddy Performer RPM heads, which I assume will work well? I may spring for a nice set of Brodix, not sure.

Headers? MSD ignition? I think we can even use the cam, lifters, springs, rockers, etc. since I have 850 miles on the engine since new rebuild.

I am also thinking a mild stroker.

Any tips on this conversion?

Thanks guys,

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The distributor will be to short . And of coarse the intake is to small.

Last edited:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Complete heads, alternator and alt brackets, exhaust manifolds/headers, starter, oil pump, oil pan, windage tray, water pump, carb, plug wires, cam, lifters...but not the push rods, timing set, oil pump drive gear, intake or distributor. It's been a long time since I had a 383 so I don't know about the head bolts or timing chain cover?

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
i'd use new headbolts anyway, remember that depending on the type of lifters you have that either a solid or hydraulic flat tappet lifter needs to be kept organized in same place and same lobe on cam. they have been worn in and won't work if you get them out of place. might want a new cam anyway since are bumping the displacement and new one will take that into account. performer heads are good. if get those definitely need new cam to take full advantage. if use stock stamped steel rockers , look them over carefully. they tend to wear where the pushrod connects and eventually the pushrod punches through. msd does a nice ignition. with performer heads definitely headerws. if go stroker this means complete teardown of engine, clearance block and rebuild

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks George. Fortunately, I already have the TTI full exhaust system on the 383 and the MSD box and distributor. Seems like most stuff will transfer. Thanks again. John

Back