• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

440 Engine Decode Help

tokosj

Reaction score
Hi All- New to the forum, and am looking for a little help on decoding a 440 engine that was included in the purchase of my first 69 Roadrunner this week.
The casting date on the side of the block shows that it's a 1970 Engine (casting number 2536430-7 ) but the PAD stamping is H440 (maltese cross) on the top line, and below it 9 15 2 . In my research the "H" designates a 72 block..? but.. doesn't jive with the casting number-.. PLUS doesn't the stamp PRE-DATE the casting number? just doesn't seem right. Any help appreciated-

random side note- The other side of the block which has the casting date is
10 • 19 • 70 which, is randomly super weird to me personally, because i own a 70 Challenger RT/SE that was built on the EXACT SAME day. when does that ever happen?

01.jpg03.jpg02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

02.jpg

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you're looking at? It should have the last 8 of the VIN on the block? It probably is a 1972 VIN? I wonder if it has a cast or forged crankshaft? They switched to cast for 1972.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Pretty simple... The block was cast in late 1970 and never assembled until 1972.

quikbird

Reaction score
Casting number will come before stamping numbers. Stamping numbers are put in on the day it is assembled.
H440 is 72 440, Maltese cross according to my reference book is 0.001 undersized crank.
Numbers are 9 15 2 is assembled sept 15, 2nd assembled that day.
More info available in numbers stamped down by pan rail that will tell you where assembled , what number assembled that day, what day in some 10,000 day calendar and I admit I don't know when it starts, etc,

tokosj

Reaction score
Thanks guys- That makes a lot of sense. It has a forged crank- Just one of those weird numbers things that didn't make complete sense to me.

Back