• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

68 trunk lip numbers ?

steverino

Reaction score
I am investigating (for potential purchase) a 68 that has (apparently) a matching radiator support stamping that corresponds to the last 6 digits on the lower right of the fender tag

But the trunk lip numbers seem to be too many (greater than 6 digits) and do not seem to correspond to the body/sales order number (last 6 digits on the lower right of fender tag)

how much of a concern is this ?
Do the trunk lip numbers (if existing) always match the body number ?
it's a St Louis built vehicle

Thanks for any info that may help

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The tag #s are under the weather strip and yes should match.They might be different if the car was rapaired with donor parts years ago

A12

Reaction score
DSC02274phsp1aa3_001.jpg The trunk drip rail and the radiator support numbers should match the FENDER TAG lower right SON and NOT the VIN as you stated. They are the exact same numbers on the rad support and drip rail with nine (9) characters/numbers, at least on a "G" St. Louis assembly plant built '68 Road Runner. The sales order numbers on my St. Louis G plant RR's radiator support are upside down on the backside, driver's side of the support. EXAMPLE G8R051146. G = St. Louis and "8" 1968...of course you know that. What's funny about that is unless you have a fender tag, build sheet or Sales Order Number for a '68 you'll never know what those numbers are............DAMHIK. I was so disappointed when I first checked the radiator support and trunk drip rail and they didn't match the VIN........all of my experience up to that point was with '69 models and internet folklore.

Back