• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

69 Road Runner fuel line breather hose

Mr. Milba

Reaction score
Hello
I just purchased a 1969 RR. Did all 69’s have the fuel tank breather hose installed in the trunk? Mine has none, and noticed today after filling up, fuel leaking from a breather hose that goes up through the frame and loops back down above the driver side of the differential. It leaked onto the differential and messed up the paint. Was it just a matter of overfilling the tank? Thanks for the help.

24EFC287-94BE-4D91-A706-A1FE9C0F7CE5.jpeg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The long one is pictured the short one that is plugged goes to a missing steel line that clips to the shock support and curles down

DSCN1443.JPG

DSCN1442.JPG

Mr. Milba

Reaction score
Thanks hemibeep. Just want to be sure I understand. Right now, the long one goes up through The cross member and curls around. The short one that’s plugged SHOULD go to the vent hose in the trunk? I just ordered the vent hose for the trunk.

Mr. Milba

Reaction score
Gotcha. Probably why I had fuel coming out of the one that’s not plugged and goes up to the cross member. I’ll reverse, when trunk vent hose comes in.
is it the same for aftermarket tanks as well. My tank has been replaced.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Found that the replacement tank vent lines where swapped just think due to patten's. Just to say I could not stop my vent line's from leaking and had to put a vent line on the filler neck to make it all work right. Had to do this because of the rake with the 2 1/2 inch recurve spring's I put on the car. Tank built up pressure an forced the fuel out the vent line's. Good luck and enjoy that runner.

Reaction score
ok, im need some of the same help. But I have a 70. 383 EFI. stock-style replacement tank. 2" exhaust in the stock spot next to the tank. i have had some leakage out of the vent tubes. some bubbling and liquid. at worst 2oz. Looking up at the tank I have the left nipple on a short line into a rollover. The right as of now was capped. I uncapped and added a 4 ft loop of hose to help. but still the same issues. have a vented cap and nothing special at the cap. Holley says it's my tank temp causing it to atomize, go up the tubes, and re-condense. causing the constant drips! AT half tank in the Florida heat,95, the tank external temp was 126 degrees. the first question is about the vent tubes, should they both be open? reversed? how about then adding a repo-long return line? does anyone get a place for them? does anyone have a similar setup and how are you running so now leeks. it's driving me crazy. of course, the wife complains about the gas smell !! lol. .

jww69rrpost

Reaction score
Back in the day (the late 60's and early 70's) we'd often add a second breather tube directly off the filler tube and, using a T-fitting, tie into the stock breather tube, thereby eliminating any fuel sloshing up through the original breather tube and onto the ground in front of the rear passenger-side tire. I did this to my current 69 Road Runner and although it worked for fuel leaking, it did nothing for fuel vapor orders in the garage. I installed a fuel vapor canister in the trunk and welded the second breather tube to the fuel filler tube and ran both breather tubes through the vapor canister and out through the inside of the trunk into the passenger-side wheel well.... problem solved for both fuel leaking and fuel vapor orders.

Fuel Vapor Canister in Trunk.jpg

Back