• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

727 Torque Converter

RR383

Reaction score
:bump:
What would be the stall speed in the stock configuration...appreciate it. Just thinkin if what I'm currently running was changed up at some point...it might be so of the problem I'm still having with a sluggish launch.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
About 2500 on a HP383 foot brake but it all depends on the engine. Remember higher stall higher heat so be careful how high and or add a cooler, what gear ratio?

Last edited:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Many years have passed so what is in there is a mystery. Back in the 60's 70's the 727 got both a 12" and an 11" performance and police converter. Most over the counter replacements are 12" standard and that might be what is hurting.

RR383

Reaction score
Appreciate it...broadcast sheet shows a 3:23 open diff. Is there a quick way (visually) to see the size w/o trans removal?

Coyote

Reaction score
Checking the sludge in my memory, I think if you pull flex plate cover, you should be able to tape measure TC to real close approximation. I vaguely remember pulling covers to drain the TC on old cop cars and I think you can get a tape measure inside on an angle. Good Luck!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I thought about the cover but trying to measure it ? Maybe from the outside edge of the converter to the ring gear and compare to a known one

Danomt

Reaction score
The 12" converter has about a half inch of ring gear sticking out and the 11" has about an inch. The 383 cars usually came with a 11 inch converter and the 440 cars cam with the 12 in. I stuck a few 383 converters in my 440 cars, kind of a poor boys way to sneek a little more stall.

RR383

Reaction score
A lift will come in handy for this inspection. The difference in OD would be a better tell-tale. thanks

Back