• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Declaration of Loyalty to America

MarPar

Reaction score
I AM AN AMERICAN OF CUBAN DESCENT, AND DAMNED PROUD OF IT!

I detest the terms "Latino" and "Hispanic".

First, there is no such thing as a "Latino" race. There is no such thing as a "Hispanic" race. Both terms are contrived and used solely for census purposes. There is no such country as "latinolandia" and Hispaniola is technically half of an island in the Caribbean .

Second, I am not, nor will I ever be, part of "La Raza." Nor do I agree or support their current protests. Some of you may, and that is fine, but I do not.

Third, and most importantly: I have never and will never, despite having many issues with the government of the United States throughout the years, burn a flag of the United States of America.

My parents are Cuban by birth. However, I was born here, and damned proud, and thankful i was.

Fourth, while I certainly sympathize with the Mexican people for their country's economic and social troubles, I REFUSE to be lumped together as a class or a race simply because we speak a similar language. If Mexicans and Mexican-Americans had wanted my support, then they should have supported the cause of a free and democratic Cuba , instead of the majority and at times the Mexican government having sided with and legitimizing the government of Fidel Castro.

Fifth, there is a difference between a Cuban living in the United States and a Mexican living in the United States . One is a political refugee and the other is an immigrant, respectively. When Mexicans are being oppressed and have their basic human rights trampled on by their government as Cubans do, then perhaps my opinion will change; until then, the aforementioned difference stands.

Mexicans and Mexican-Americans may very well have legitimate gripes with the government of the US , but as La Raza, the flags they are burning and flying up side down below the Mexican flag do not speak for me.

I am not Mexican; I am not Latino; I am not Hispanic.

I am an American of Cuban decent, and damned proud of it.

GOD BLESS AMERICA !!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Teddy Roosevelt in a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Teddy Roosevelt in a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.
Very well said :thumbsup: He was a great man :flag:

MarPar

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:

Very well said :thumbsup: He was a great man :flag:

Amen!! held true then, holds true now, and it WILL hold true in the future.... :flag:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."[/quote]

Teddy Roosevelt in a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.[/quote]

Amen!! held true then, holds true now, and it WILL hold true in the future.... :flag:[/quote]
I like the way you think Marpar, I feel the same way. But I think that if that statement was made today, it would be shot down before the voice that stated it had faded away. :acme:

ArcDevilz

Reaction score
Although it might be nice to think that one can come here and assimilate into this American dream. One will always face challenges. I myself am from Mexico. I was born there and stayed there a total of 14 days. I am now an American citizen. But even with that I still come across racism. I cannot hide the color of my skin. Many people in the construction industry I work in run a good ol' boy network. Breaking into that scene has been the hardest thing I have ever done. I have been able to earn the respect of many of the superintendents and other contractors I work with because i am the best at what I do. I have proven this to them and myself many times over.I also do not dish back the same type of hatred because I do not have interest for the most part to be part of the large herd like sheep in society. It only cements my individuality. What makes most people weak are their inability to look at someone for the true good nature and look beyond color. Do I love this country? Of course. Is it the best country in the world? You bet your damn apple pie it is. I am living proof as well that if you keep your head up high and put the hatchet down you can make something out of nothing. I come from poverty like you would not believe and have been able to achieve great success. My bird is proof of this. :beep:

MarPar

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Teddy Roosevelt in a letter he wrote to the president of the American Defense Society on January 3, 1919, three days before Roosevelt died.[/quote]

Amen!! held true then, holds true now, and it WILL hold true in the future.... :flag:[/quote]
I like the way you think Marpar, I feel the same way. But I think that if that statement was made today, it would be shot down before the voice that stated it had faded away. :acme:[/quote]

You are totally correct Cuda! Somebody would come up with BS about it being "insensitive" and "offensive."

George Carlin had it right about twenty years ago...the "pussification" of America.

MarPar

Reaction score
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. --Abraham Lincoln

MarPar

Reaction score
You are exactly correct Arc. It IS hard to assimilate into a society, any society.

Of my family, I was lucky enough to be first generation born in America and i was raised American. My parents came over from Cuba in the sixties, in a plane, not a boat, (although my G-ma told me that in the mid eighties some of her relatives escaped on a boat and made it) with nothing but the clothes on their backs, literally. They were put into tent camps (close to what you saw in Scarface, although it wasn't under a highway, it was in Hialeah) and had to work their asses off doing shit jobs and facing racism of their own.

Fast-forward forty years...
Me, my Father, and my youngest brother now own a successful meat company together, my middle brother is a state trooper, and my mother is a lawyer. The only way this was all accomplished was through hard work, discipline and honesty. No freakin' hand outs. When you work hard, people WILL give respect, no matter if you're brown, black, yellow or white.

:cents:

Thanks
-Mar

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
MarPar said:
When you work hard, people WILL give respect

That's true and I think that's what too many people miss. People don't respect ANYONE that wants a free ride or has the "entitlement" mentality.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
MarPar said:
You are exactly correct Arc. It IS hard to assimilate into a society, any society.

Of my family, I was lucky enough to be first generation born in America and i was raised American. My parents came over from Cuba in the sixties, in a plane, not a boat, (although my G-ma told me that in the mid eighties some of her relatives escaped on a boat and made it) with nothing but the clothes on their backs, literally. They were put into tent camps (close to what you saw in Scarface, although it wasn't under a highway, it was in Hialeah) and had to work their asses off doing shit jobs and facing racism of their own.

Fast-forward forty years...
Me, my Father, and my youngest brother now own a successful meat company together, my middle brother is a state trooper, and my mother is a lawyer. The only way this was all accomplished was through hard work, discipline and honesty. No freakin' hand outs. When you work hard, people WILL give respect, no matter if you're brown, black, yellow or white.

:cents:

Thanks
-Mar

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :grouphug: I like this guy..........What a great story. The American Dream.......Live good through hard work.........

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

I like the way you think Marpar, I feel the same way. But I think that if that statement was made today, it would be shot down before the voice that stated it had faded away. :acme:[/quote]
amen to what you steve and marpar stated :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Back