• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A833

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You guys have any input of the durability or problems with an aluminum cased A833 overdrive? It would be used in my Valiant behind a 408?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think the internals are pretty much the same as the cast iron case, but I could be wrong.

I'd try it... its not a heavy car and as long as you're not draging it every weekend, it will probably be fine.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Are you talking about the one the Passon sells?
No I believe its out of a later model truck, but the shifter mount is in the same location as an A-body

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Call Jamie Passon, he'll be more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He's a good guy. He did my cast iron unit.
Yep he's always a good help

mcmopar

Reaction score
I've seen that trans behind a 426 Hemi F8 Canadian road runner down here. They guy is a snowbird and comes down for the winter. He trailers the car down and then drives it all over the place when here. He says it works great - and says it gets 17 mpg on the highway!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Call Jamie Passon, he'll be more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He's a good guy. He did my cast iron unit.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Jamie's a great guy

moparchris

Reaction score
The stock ones are fragile. The one Passon sells is very strong. I know you will make a bazillion horsepower since you aren't confined by the concourse standards of the Snobbyrunner, so you may need something a little robust. There is always a G-force 5 speed at 5k. That would be my choice, I giggle at the thought of pulling the lever at 7500.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
The stock ones are fragile. The one Passon sells is very strong. I know you will make a bazillion horsepower since you aren't confined by the concourse standards of the Snobbyrunner, so you may need something a little robust. There is always a G-force 5 speed at 5k. That would be my choice, I giggle at the thought of pulling the lever at 7500.
Snobbyrunner :wedgie: :leg: :chuck: :toetap: :snowball: :stooges: :stab: :horse: :D

6R9Runner

Reaction score
IIRC the stock mainshaft diameter of an O/D 4-speed is smaller/weaker than a 1:1 4-spd in the 3-4 gear area, and the aluminum case will not hold up as well as cast iron to countershaft side loading (cluster gear). One solution is to install hardened bushings in the aluminum case. I had good experience with Passon also, and Brewer's fixed me up with some hardware in a hurry.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
IIRC the stock mainshaft diameter of an O/D 4-speed is smaller/weaker than a 1:1 4-spd in the 3-4 gear area, and the aluminum case will not hold up as well as cast iron to countershaft side loading (cluster gear). One solution is to install hardened bushings in the aluminum case. I had good experience with Passon also, and Brewer's fixed me up with some hardware in a hurry.
Thanks for the input. Upon further investigation the aluminum case is also a week point. So much for that idea :yesnod:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
6R9Runner said:
Thanks for the input. Upon further investigation the aluminum case is also a week point. So much for that idea :yesnod:

The aftermarket Aluminum cases are way stronger than the stock cast iron ones. All the aftermarket drag race trannys are aluminum case. The stock Mopar one had /6 power in mind.

Back