• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on vinyl top

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get some fueds started here, but..... I am starting on a 68 rr that probably had a vinyl top on it. It had been removed before I got the car, but still had the trim in place. My question is, if I decide to replace the top during restoration, and that being said, I live in Az where the sun does it's thing really well, would this be a mistake? I don't plan on it sitting in the sun a whole lot, but still.... And another question, if I do not replace it, do you guys think I should fill in the holes of the trim?, or just use the trim as a decorative item? And one more question, I have thought about a slight 2 tone, using a darker blue than original, and a slightly lighter dark blue for the top. Would this look wierd to Mopar enthusiest? Only reason I am thinking about this is that I have both colors purchased, a quart of the lighter blue and a gallon of the darker ( there is a difference of shade of course). This might keep me from having to purchase another quart of the dark. I could post some photos of both colors to see what you guys think. I just don't like the original QQ1 paint, and I do like the B5 a little better, but not to crazy about it either. I kind of want this car to be a little unique, but would respect your thoughts on this. This car originally didn't have the stripes, but want to add them (I think)??? Let me know what you guys think on this, but I do have reservations on both blues for they are kind of dark. They would both look good in the sun though! Thanks, Jerry

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Jerry, if its kept in a garage the a vinyl top will outlast us, I think they look good.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
If this helps Jerry, this pic shows how my car looked when I first got it back in '05. While I like the color of the car, I wanted to do some things to it so I added the stripe first, then after I confirmed it came with a vinyl roof, and since I always like them on these cars I went ahead and added that back to it. You can see in my signature pic how it looks now and I am very happy with it.

Picture 008.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
Its your car and I encourage you to do what you would like to it. So since you asked here is my opinion.

1) put it back to original ( I like the look of vinyl tops )
2) Paint the top a different color ( painted tops are a factory option and you can always cover it with a vinyl top if you get tired of it )
3) Paint one solid color but leave trim ( This leaves your options wide open, vinyl, painted diff color )
4) Paint car all one color without the trim ( This is a rather permanent option but you still can add the vinyl or painted top later like Steve did with his awesome green runner above)

Of the options above 1 is my number 1 and 4 being second fave. Either way its all yours.

BTW there are many ways to fill the holes for the vinyl top. Welding IMHO is best way to do it. I would make a template of the hole first so that you can put them back if you decide to go with the vinyl top.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'll hear it repeatedly on here; do whatever you like - it's your car.

I'd vote for the QQ1 and the vinyl top. There were not one but two QQ1 '68 Hemi RRs at Mopars w/ Big Daddy this year and they both looked great. QQ1 rocks. :cents:

:jester:

peresvet24

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Its your car and I encourage you to do what you would like to it. So since you asked here is my opinion.

1) put it back to original ( I like the look of vinyl tops )
2) Paint the top a different color ( painted tops are a factory option and you can always cover it with a vinyl top if you get tired of it )
3) Paint one solid color but leave trim ( This leaves your options wide open, vinyl, painted diff color )
4) Paint car all one color without the trim ( This is a rather permanent option but you still can add the vinyl or painted top later like Steve did with his awesome green runner above)

Of the options above 1 is my number 1 and 4 being second fave. Either way its all yours.

BTW there are many ways to fill the holes for the vinyl top. Welding IMHO is best way to do it. I would make a template of the hole first so that you can put them back if you decide to go with the vinyl top.
well said :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Paint it F8 so everyone with love it............ :jester:
like the other guys said, we're "it's your car do it the way YOU want it"
My first '69 had the factory painted black roof with the trim. I like the look of the vinyl tops.
The stripes look great. The '68s had the blackout on the center of the hood, so I take it you want the '69 style stripes? And as far as the color, it's hard to find a color that doesn't look good on these mopars. You could do the two tone roof color, and if you like it, you're set. If not, either repaint it like the rest, or put a top on it.

droptop

Reaction score
If you keep it in a garage, and use a UV inhibitor, the vinyl will last a very long time. Please don't Chip Foose it. (2 tone cars are not very appealing :cents: )

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Here is the two shades of blue that I have picked out for the 68. You can easily tell the difference in person, but hard to tell by these photos.

11-18-12002.jpg

droptop

Reaction score
jerrysdustydog said:
Here is the two shades of blue that I have picked out for the 68. You can easily tell the difference in person, but hard to tell by these photos.

11-18-12002.jpg

Mix the 2 colors together if they are that close. Hey, it worked for Petty.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Thanks for the photos. Have to think about it, and may not do either, just don't know. Kind of want it to be matching to the fender tag, but since I'm changing the paint slightly, might just go for the stripes. Wanted to put stripes on the 67 mustang I just did, but got outvoted by the wife. She was born in 68 and wasn't around to get the stripe thing in her blood like me.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
jerrysdustydog said:

11-18-12002.jpg

Mix the 2 colors together if they are that close. Hey, it worked for Petty.
yeah it did, IIRC that was 4 parts blue and 1 part white! :thumbsup:

Back