• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aftermarket Seat Belts

zupanj

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket source for a modern seat belt set up for our cars. Everytime I drive my Roadrunner and buckle up the lap belt I am a little bit at unease. I don't think a lap belt is very effective compared to the stuff we use today. I think one would have to weld in a couple of hard points but I would like to have a setup better than the one with which our cars were equipped at the factory.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

BARRY JACKPOT

Reaction score
We have to change the seatbelts in Australia to get our American cars registered, there is a company called hemco out here that make modern belts that are a bolt in set up. I have just installed a set in my RR, literally two days ago, and it was a snap. They're website is www.hemco.com.au the complete set up for five belts was around 570 Australian, see how ya go.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Richard Elburger or Eldenburg or what ever his name is the tech editor at Mopar Action magazine you guys know who I mean, did an up grade several years ago to an early B body by putting in a retractable seat sholder belt from a later car,replacing the fixed sholder belt.I know he takes safety seriously so I'm sure it would be a safe retrofit.

sam z

Reaction score
When I got my car it had no belts in it anywhere. I drove it like that for around a year. For those of you in the correct age bracket, I've heard that cars routinely had the seat belts taken out of them (like during the 70's). Why? A few guys I know told me that.

Now look at us (me included). We have lap belts and we are uneasy about it.

I went and got a set of lap belts from a part store. They were real old and the package was dusty / filthy because nobody buys them anymore. I'm good with lap belts. My :cents:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
My car has a shoulder belt in addition to the lap belt. You can probably feel through the headliner for the anchor point- its at the B-pillar. When not in use, the shoulder belt connects to a special clip near the sun visor. The lap belt is actually 2-in-1. Let me know if you need some pictures.

Headrests are also part of your restraint system, preventing whiplash.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
As kids none of the cars had belts in them, I remember helping my dad add a set to his 59 Plymouth wagon and this was around 66 or 67.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
As kids none of the cars had belts in them, I remember helping my dad add a set to his 59 Plymouth wagon and this was around 66 or 67.
as a kid I remember the first car we had seat belts in was a '65 Coronet station wagon, ( and no, it wasn't green!) All we had were lap belts but we always had to wear them!

John69RR

Reaction score
Oh no! Your family had a 65 Coronet wagon also? Dad wanted a big block for pulling a travel trailer, so he and a good customer at the dealership agreed to swap the 318 in the wagon for the customers 361. We had that car until 1975.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
John69RR said:
Oh no! Your family had a 65 Coronet wagon also? Dad wanted a big block for pulling a travel trailer, so he and a good customer at the dealership agreed to swap the 318 in the wagon for the customers 361. We had that car until 1975.

Yeah we did! This car had a 318 and as I remember, it was very reliable. Dad traded that car for a '68 Plymouth Sport Suburban with the wood grain panel, and yes, this car was GREEN!!!!!!

Collin

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

66 and 67, I remember those years like it was yesterday..... :devil:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
jays69bird said:
Richard Elburger or Eldenburg or what ever his name is the tech editor at Mopar Action magazine you guys know who I mean, did an up grade several years ago to an early B body by putting in a retractable seat sholder belt from a later car,replacing the fixed sholder belt.I know he takes safety seriously so I'm sure it would be a safe retrofit.

Ehrenberg :yesnod:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Collin said:
69hemibeep said:

66 and 67, I remember those years like it was yesterday..... :devil:
:toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
My car has a shoulder belt in addition to the lap belt. You can probably feel through the headliner for the anchor point- its at the B-pillar. When not in use, the shoulder belt connects to a special clip near the sun visor. The lap belt is actually 2-in-1. Let me know if you need some pictures.

Headrests are also part of your restraint system, preventing whiplash.

Ditto. :thumbsup:

Back