• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air Conditioning

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Ok fellas, so as most of you know, I bought a '75 Scamp a little while ago. It has AC, but it is not working.
While I save $$$ for the 383/727/8.75 swap, my plan is to cruise this for a year or so.
Eventually, I will deep six the AC, but until then........I would love to convert this to 134a and try to get the AC functional.

Where would you even start?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
Ok fellas, so as most of you know, I bought a '75 Scamp a little while ago. It has AC, but it is not working.
While I save $$$ for the 383/727/8.75 swap, my plan is to cruise this for a year or so.
Eventually, I will deep six the AC, but until then........I would love to convert this to 134a and try to get the AC functional.

Where would you even start?
Take it apart and flush the usable parts to get the R12 oil out. There is an A/C flush but I have used brake clean. I have to do the same so I'm going to sit back and listen to the experts. :popcorn:

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
The guy I bought it from removed the belt running to the compressor because the AC wasn't blowing cold.
I need to first get the correct belt. What do you think? Try NAPA first? I would hate to have to score an NOS belt.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
roadrunnerh said:
The guy I bought it from removed the belt running to the compressor because the AC wasn't blowing cold.
I need to first get the correct belt. What do you think? Try NAPA first? I would hate to have to score an NOS belt.
Press on the schrader valve and see if it has any pressure. If so is the clutch frozen on the compressor? There is a reason it was taken off. Most people advertise the A/C needs charged when its really junk and needs a compressor dryer O-rings hoses and so on.

A31PKG

Reaction score
First, turn the plate in the front of the clutch and make sure the compressor is free. If it won't turn by hand, or if it is rough or notchy...it's done. If it turns by hand and you can feel the compression, then you're in business. Next, see if the system can hold a vacuum, as you'll want to repair any leaks beforehand. If it passes those two tests - and barring any other issues - then it's likely a viable candidate for the conversion to R134. Yes, to do it right, you'll want to get out as much of the old R12 oil out as you can, but you'll never get it all out. Some of it can be recovered during the evacuation process, and some you can remove manually. The two items that hold the most oil are the compressor and the dryer. I would definitely replace the dryer anyway. If you want to empty the compressor, the easiest way is to remove the drain plug and invert it. Shop air & brake cleaner work well with pipes & hoses. I would not shoot any into the condenser or evaporator though. Just blow through them with shop air (or remove and drain) as any residual cleaner will not mix well with the new R134 oil, and could cause future problems. Be sure to wear a mask and get in a well-ventilated area. Don't worry if you don't remove all of the old R12 oil, as it won't mix with R134 oil. In other words, after the conversion, the old R12 oil will tend to settle in the low areas of the system and stay there. Having said all of this, I've seen guys do nothing more than buy the kit, and shoot it in there... It's up to you how involved you want to get. Considering you only want it to work temporarily, maybe that would do just fine. If you want to do it yourself, the conversion kit can be purchased at any auto parts store. Good luck with it!

moparchris

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
First, turn the plate in the front of the clutch and make sure the compressor is free. If it won't turn by hand, or if it is rough or notchy...it's done. If it turns by hand and you can feel the compression, then you're in business. Next, see if the system can hold a vacuum, as you'll want to repair any leaks beforehand. If it passes those two tests - and barring any other issues - then it's likely a viable candidate for the conversion to R134. Yes, to do it right, you'll want to get out as much of the old R12 oil out as you can, but you'll never get it all out. Some of it can be recovered during the evacuation process, and some you can remove manually. The two items that hold the most oil are the compressor and the dryer. I would definitely replace the dryer anyway. If you want to empty the compressor, the easiest way is to remove the drain plug and invert it. Shop air & brake cleaner work well with pipes & hoses. I would not shoot any into the condenser or evaporator though. Just blow through them with shop air (or remove and drain) as any residual cleaner will not mix well with the new R134 oil, and could cause future problems. Be sure to wear a mask and get in a well-ventilated area. Don't worry if you don't remove all of the old R12 oil, as it won't mix with R134 oil. In other words, after the conversion, the old R12 oil will tend to settle in the low areas of the system and stay there. Having said all of this, I've seen guys do nothing more than buy the kit, and shoot it in there... It's up to you how involved you want to get. Considering you only want it to work temporarily, maybe that would do just fine. If you want to do it yourself, the conversion kit can be purchased at any auto parts store. Good luck with it!
X2, and part of the proper conversion is to replace all the o rings as well.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wonder how much $ like to get the a/c ln the truck work'n

A31PKG

Reaction score
quote] X2, and part of the proper conversion is to replace all the o rings as well.[/quote]

Good point.... sorry, left that out....

Back