• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator. . . dumb question of the year?

JJRJR

Reaction score
OK guys, so I want get a new alternator, this one doesn't put out enough juice at idle. I think it's bad. I've attached a couple pics if it helps. Not sure what is meant by "single wire" or "exterior regulator" etc. Can you see in the pic what I have, we can't find the receipt for this one so don't know what it is. I'd like to get a replacement, but want to get the right one.

Thanks,

John

photo2_zpsc236b878.jpg

photo1_zps3eddd59e.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Looks like a single field external regulated but I could tell you for sure with a shot of the back side.

JJRJR

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Looks like a single field external regulated but I could tell you for sure with a shot of the back side.

External regulated means there should be a regulator on the firewall or somewhere in engine compartment? Thanks, I'll see if I can get a shot later tonight.

Best,

John

zupanj

Reaction score
Why not just get that one tested and rebuilt if necessary at a good automotive electric shop?

zupanj

Reaction score
Why not just get that one tested and rebuilt if necessary at a good automotive electric shop?

JJRJR

Reaction score
zupanj said:

Yea, I have been looking for a good local shop. I think that may be my best bet. Thanks.

earlyrides

Reaction score
Is your car "mopar correct" or "go-fast"?
If you are in the "don't care as long as it runs well" category then...
(Get ready for the hate.)
Run a 95 chevy truck alternator.
Smaller.
Lighter.
Easy to wire. Theres just one wire to run to the big lug on the starter relay.
No dimming of lights or slwing down of heater at idle.

BUT...if you have to stay Mopar; have yours rebuilt.
BEWARE...a few years back, before I went the dark side (using a chevy part on my Mopars), I had an alternator rebuilt and after a few run hour the press on pulley came off during an extended run on the freeway. BUMMER-VILLE!
Not only did my engine overheat before I could get off the freeway but the flinging belt and pulley took out my shroud and put a hole in my freshley recored radiator.
You can probably find a conversion bracket on the internet. I got mine at the local Long Beach High Performance swap meet from the alternator/battery vendor along with the alternator all for $100.00.
And I have been all charged up ever since.

mopartink

Reaction score
i too had run a chevy alt on mine but it looked like crap, i tried to go with an oe 69 alt and regulator but it was going nuts and not charging then all the sudden charging at 19 volts crazy!! i think my msd box was interfering with it and the ballast resistor.. then got a chrome single wire alternator from tuff stuff it was junk chrome was peeling off after the first year it lasted about 8yrs tho and finaly died on me the summer before last. so now i use a 1970 and up chrysler alternator and regulator and it works great was simple to wire and works fine with my msd ignition and no ballast resistor at all...hope this helps

mopartink

Reaction score
also if you or anyone else is interested i have 3 new nos correct #S 68-69 hemi alternators

JJRJR

Reaction score
mopartink said:
i too had run a chevy alt on mine but it looked like crap, i tried to go with an oe 69 alt and regulator but it was going nuts and not charging then all the sudden charging at 19 volts crazy!! i think my msd box was interfering with it and the ballast resistor.. then got a chrome single wire alternator from tuff stuff it was junk chrome was peeling off after the first year it lasted about 8yrs tho and finaly died on me the summer before last. so now i use a 1970 and up chrysler alternator and regulator and it works great was simple to wire and works fine with my msd ignition and no ballast resistor at all...hope this helps

Thanks for the advice. Would you happen to have a part number for what you're using? Mine is a 383. Would I need a different bracket?

Thanks again,

John

mopartink

Reaction score
nope the same billet aluminum bracket i have worked for all the alternators on my 440.. the one im using i bought at advance auto parts with the regulator cant remember the part #S on the alt but the regulator was a bwd # r296p i just called them and they couldnt find my purchase in thier system but gave me this info, there is 3 options for the 1970 charging system like im using now, theres a 50amp single groove made by tuff one #p7000, a 60 amp 2 groove tuff one #p7001,and a 100 amp 2 groove made by bosh part #al528x . ive found also that either a 1 or 2 groove fits and works the same with my bracket just had to space it correctly to line up with the rest of the pulleys..

JJRJR

Reaction score
mopartink said:
nope the same billet aluminum bracket i have worked for all the alternators on my 440.. the one im using i bought at advance auto parts with the regulator cant remember the part #S on the alt but the regulator was a bwd # r296p i just called them and they couldnt find my purchase in thier system but gave me this info, there is 3 options for the 1970 charging system like im using now, theres a 50amp single groove made by tuff one #p7000, a 60 amp 2 groove tuff one #p7001,and a 100 amp 2 groove made by bosh part #al528x . ive found also that either a 1 or 2 groove fits and works the same with my bracket just had to space it correctly to line up with the rest of the pulleys..

Thanks man, I'll check out that Bosch unit. I'll keep you posted.

Best,

John

mopartink

Reaction score
also the aluminum bracket i use is made by march pulleys not sure of part# bought it years ago but its pretty sweet and has worked for all the different chrysler alternators ive tried but the adjuster part wouldnt work at all on the chevy alt..

also the regulator when i bought it came with the wiring diagram in the box so it saved me from doing the wiring reasearch on that

earlyrides

Reaction score
the guys at quality power have just made this very simple by making an alternator just for Chrysler guys needing an alternative.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=557
They also have a conversion bracket that I used on my cars that will allow the use of a 95 chevy truck alternator that can be bought at almost any parts store for around $90.00.

JJRJR

Reaction score
earlyrides said:
the guys at quality power have just made this very simple by making an alternator just for Chrysler guys needing an alternative.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?item=557
They also have a conversion bracket that I used on my cars that will allow the use of a 95 chevy truck alternator that can be bought at almost any parts store for around $90.00.

Great info, thanks very much.

Back