• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

alternator overcharging any help ???

moparstuart

Reaction score
Last sunday coming back from a two hour drive to a show my alternator started discharging and making a slight bearing noise . at speed it would still charge some but at idle it was discharging . Ok so i get a new one and now its great at idle , but at speed the gauge is off the charts over charging ? Is this a bad alternator or has my regulator fried and is not regulating it correctly Huh
the alternators have life time warrantys but are cheap remans ? Also they are both a 78 amp to accomidate my new power accessories i've added . THis is on a 70 with factory style mopar electronic ignition .

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Most likely had a bad diode or two in the first alternator, but the new problem is the regulator. The old alternator probably wasn't putting out the power it should have and the regulator problem wasn't an issue.

Big John

Reaction score
or wait.... check the wires to see if anything is shorted to ground!

Big John

Reaction score
One other thought... Are the field connections to the alternator on correctly?

A31PKG

Reaction score
I'm really diggin' those new-fangled electronic voltage regulators too... they're cheap, look somewhat stock, and work awesome. Unless you're already using one... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I'm really diggin' those new-fangled electronic voltage regulators too... they're cheap, look somewhat stock, and work awesome. Unless you're already using one... :thumbsup:
They do work smoother :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
A31PKG said:
They do work smoother :thumbsup:
Mt car has one and the lights are brighter and stay that way even at idle.

moparstuart

Reaction score
After a new voltage reg , checking all the wiring and connections , plugs and grounds . It was still over charging . The gauge would still peg all the way to the right at speed . So i pulled the alternator and got another , all is fine now . The new alternator had a bad field that was grounding out .

New reman stuff out of the box is junk these days , life time warranty a must .

beepbeepbill

Reaction score
A31PKG said:

Bump.

which one are people using? New regulator may help with my problem too.

Bill

Big John

Reaction score
beepbeepbill said:
A31PKG said:

Bump.

which one are people using? New regulator may help with my problem too.

Bill

VR706, available at Autozone and probably some other places.

I did this with one: [url="http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88&p=723"]viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88&p=723[/url]

Back