• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator question. . .

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need to get a higher output alternator. Once the car warms up and holds an idle at 1,000 to 1,100 my voltmeter (aftermarket) is showing 12 volts. When I cruise, it goes up to 14 volts. This is during the day (no lights on) and in cooler weather (no AC on).

When I start the car and turn on the lights and the AC, it's at 10 volts. A couple mechanics that have looked at the car over the last few months have recommended a higher output unit.

So, I called a place called Alternator Pros. The guy told me that these units are hard to make in higher ouput because they are so small and not much room for additional windings? Don't know about any of that, but he said the OEM units were 60 amp and that I should do an amp test to see what I'm drawing with everything turned on.

Any recommendations of where I can get a higher output unit for the 383?

Thanks guys,

John

moparchris

Reaction score
Something doesnt sound right. My 37 amp alternator on my Dart is running an electric water pump electric fan and electric fuel pump and still manages to charge at idle. I doubt its your 60 amp alt.

JJRJR

Reaction score
moparchris said:
Something doesnt sound right. My 37 amp alternator on my Dart is running an electric water pump electric fan and electric fuel pump and still manages to charge at idle. I doubt its your 60 amp alt.

I'm going to do an amp test at the battery this weekend so I can see what the total draw is. The electric fans run all the time as well.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Something doesnt sound right. My 37 amp alternator on my Dart is running an electric water pump electric fan and electric fuel pump and still manages to charge at idle.

:bs:

They didn't even have electric water pumps back when that thing was last on the road... :basketcase:

:lol: :acme: :lol:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:
Something doesnt sound right. My 37 amp alternator on my Dart is running an electric water pump electric fan and electric fuel pump and still manages to charge at idle.

They didn't even have electric water pumps back when that thing was last on the road... :basketcase:

That's going to leave a mark :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Bet you have a bad diode in the alternator or maybe a bad regulator.

60 amps will do everything you need and more. Get everything working right and you'll be fine.

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparchris said:

So says the guy who had a mullet and weighed 150 last time his Duster ran. :lol:

69hemibeep said:
That's going to leave a mark :lol:

Snap!! :lol:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Big John said:

60 amps will do everything you need and more. Get everything working right and you'll be fine.

Thanks Big John. I guess replacing the alternator would do it? When you say bad diode or regulator, are they both part of the unit? Gary (the restoration) said he thinks he put a 75amp unit in there, but not sure.

John

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
So says the guy who had a mullet and weighed 150 last time his Duster ran. :lol:

More like 185/190...but the mullet came LATER... :basketcase:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Big John said:

Thanks Big John. I guess replacing the alternator would do it? When you say bad diode or regulator, are they both part of the unit? Gary (the restoration) said he thinks he put a 75amp unit in there, but not sure.

John

Here's a place to get started.

http://www.69roadrunner.net/Tech Reference/charging.pdf

The diode is part of the alternator. Probably best to replace the alternator if that is the case. The regulator is on the firewall and is a weak point in the charging system. Lots of people have replaced them with an electronic unit and some have updated to a 70 style system.

You know.... I think we need to create a "sticky" on charging and electrical problems.

Back