• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alternator thoughts?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
DonCarter66 said:
Hey Jim... From reading that schematic it looks like 2 field terminals are required for the solid state units. I guess my confusion is in how to use a one field terminal alternator with the 1970-up electronic regulator. I have no problem making a wiring harness from a schematic, but this is really confusing me.
So to state my current understanding, I get a 1968 YO harness, a 1970-up 2-wire square-backed alternator, one of the Mopar fully electronic regulators, and slightly modify the 1968 harness? I am feeling particularly dense here. Where is the "drool moronically" emoticon? Sorry to be so dense on this.
Thanks again,
Don

You can't use a single field connection alternator with a 70/later regulator.

You can use a dual field connection alternator with a 69/earlier regulator by grounding one field connection.

DonCarter66

Reaction score
:yeathat: Okay, that is what I was thinking. The TBIs sometimes make the obvious look confusing. I will get the VR706 and use it until I get the new alternator and wiring next month.

Don

Back