• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have photos of the underside of an original-unrestored LA (E) Assembly plant r

A12

Reaction score
Anyone have photos of the underside of an original-unrestored LA (E) Assembly plant road runner or B-Body?

Word has it they were (mostly) painted black?

A12

Reaction score
Still like to get photos of how an original LA Assembly Plant car underside looks in black..............yep black according to this link that was in a thread on the A12 Registry site where a member was looking for the gray dip primer; http://www.restorick.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PntPolyDipGray.

This is an outtake from the link:

This color is the dark gray dip primer found on 1967-76 Mopar cars. Note: Cars built at the LA assembly plant were dipped in a black primer color. Available on the drop down menu below.

Apply over a gray epoxy primer of your choice. (Black under the LA plant black dip primer). SPI epoxy is an excellent choice that has etching properties as well as chromates for improved corrosion resistance.

MY LA built '69 GTX was untouched when I got it years ago and I saw the black primer and thought the owner did it and was disappointed that someone would do that especially being a Southwest car and not needing or expecting undercoating or rust proofing. Then I ran across someone posting a few years ago about LA cars may have been sprayed black on the underside after the gray dip primer but now it looks as if it was black dip primer. Appreciate any photos if you ever find any. THANKS in advance!

Back