• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ball joints

Collin

Reaction score
installed new upper ball joints today. due to the lack of a real thread, the new ball jointsz just dont fit that great. has anyone run across this problem? would it be ok to just tack weeld them in 2-3 places just to ensure they stay put? we dont figure a whole lot of force will be put on this one spot, and that they hoipefully wont hafta be changed anytime soon. any advice? btw its the stock upper control arms and moog ball joints....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This must be somewhat common...I've run into a number of them over the years that had a tack weld on them to further secure them. Really sucks when you don't notice it right away and you try to back them out without hitting them with a cut-off wheel first... :lol:

I'd say go ahead and tack them in...based on your previous posts you're not building a trailer queen so function is much more important than form... Besides, who the hell is ever gonna notice the tack weld but you anyway...? :cents:

BTW - I can't find those other two poverty caps... You want the two I do have?

Ray

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MAKE SURE THE WELDER KNOWS WHAT HES DOING.....YOU DONT WANT TO LOOSE THAT BALL JOINT GOING DOWN THE ROAD

Collin

Reaction score
George...i was going to weld them in. just going to do small tacks...what concerns should i have?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
that you run the wire hot enough to burn into the ball joint and the upper control arm socket......and let it cool slowly......if you pre-heat what you are welding it will expand the iron so when it cools off it wont crack

BBillyC

Reaction score
What George said....differential penetration from the cap to the control arm..closely watch the flow.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
BTW - I can't find those other two poverty caps... You want the two I do have?

Ray

have a pic of the ones you need? my Uncle has some, and i could check next time i'm up there.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Collin said:
these bad boys...

I know he has some LIKE that, but I don't remember for sure if they say Plymouth. sure won't be as nice as those, but the next trip up I'll check. would you still want then if they don't have the wording? at least you'd have caps untill you get the correct ones.

Back