• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BB lifter strange

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Pulled a cam out of my 383 to install a stock cam. Everything looked great except for this one lifter
outside surface. Tha block is good and slick. I have never
seen this in 40 yrs of messing with engines. What you
think? these marks are all the way around and are evenly
spaced like they were made in it. The lifter turned good
in the block and the lobe surface and cam look great.

lifter3.JPG

roadrunner69

Reaction score
The lifter bore in the block is smooth as glass. It looks just like the other bores. It kind of looks like the
lifter was knurled at the factory with high spots. They are the same all the way around and are evenly spaced and
strait up and down. Weird!!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'll bet it was like that when it went in the motor.

Looks to me like its "chatter" marks from when it was ground. The grinding wheel loaded up or needed redressing. I've seen that type of marks on ground surfaces before.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
Looks to me like its "chatter" marks from when it was ground. The grinding wheel loaded up or needed redressing. I've seen that type of marks on ground surfaces before.

Interesting... Learned something new...so I'm done for the day... Thanks, Big! :basketcase:

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Well it fit the lifter bore fine. I checked it in a couple
of others places and it fits the same. Mic the dia of the lifter
and it measures the same as the good ones. Measured the lobe lift
and it was the same as the other lobes .341. Weird!! I owned the car
for 5 yrs and the one I got it from drove it everywhere. Nothing is hurt just weird looking.

moparchris

Reaction score
Big John said:
I'll bet it was like that when it went in the motor.

I have never seen that before either. My guess would be same as Johns, but much less articulate. :lol:

steve.f

Reaction score
i had a simalar situation. my 383 wore the bottom of the lifter off twice in the same bore. Ended up being in the head. I took a straight edge across the top of the valves and they were all sitting at differerent heights. This paticular valve was higher than the rest which was putting too much downward pressure of the pushrod which kept the lifter from rotating on the cam lobe. Destroyed lifter & cam. Good luck!

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have never seen anything like that before. What lifters are you planning on for replacement? My brother in law works for Chrysler and he warns me against a lot of their performance parts. Chrysler is having a lot of these type of parts manufactured overseas. He says the quality of the newer parts are not what they used to be. Be carefull on your selection.

roadrunner69

Reaction score
Not replacing the lifters. I am putting a stock cam back in the engine and selling the 509 due to I have stock intake and exhaust manifolds.
Just to much cam for a stock 383.

mcmopar

Reaction score
If you are replacing the cam do not use the lifters you have - buy new ones. Those lifters are worn in to the previous cam. You might regret not getting new ones. A set of new lifters with a new cam is cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
I have never seen anything like that before. What lifters are you planning on for replacement? My brother in law works for Chrysler and he warns me against a lot of their performance parts. Chrysler is having a lot of these type of parts manufactured overseas. He says the quality of the newer parts are not what they used to be. Be carefull on your selection.

Seems to have been that way for 15 years or more...

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
If you are replacing the cam do not use the lifters you have - buy new ones. Those lifters are worn in to the previous cam. You might regret not getting new ones. A set of new lifters with a new cam is cheap insurance against catastrophic failure.

x2

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
You never reuse lifters on a cam swap.

X4 on flat tappets. Just asking for trouble...

No biggie with roller lifters...woo-hoo... :lol:

roadrunner69

Reaction score
OK have to rewrite my last statement. Not replacing the bad lifter due to cam swap. I am not using the lifters on a different cam.
That is a no no. The cam I installed has the lifters with it in correct order.

mcmopar

Reaction score
:thumbsup: Ray, you CAN reuse flat tappet lifters IF they are Schubecks (spelling?) but at $800 a set they are just a bit pricey for a street machine!

Back