• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bellhousing question

Rocket

Reaction score
Bellhousing question: What in the heck is that piece attached. It doesn't match any pics of a bellhousing I have seen. I know it is an aluminum 513(http://www.brewersperformance.com/prodd ... rod=BH513R)

Also why does my Zbar come with a ball half the size of the one in the rebuild kit.

Third why is this thing giving me a hard time every inch of the way> (more rhetorical)

IMG_0304_zps98f3a04e.jpg[/url]
[/url]

IMG_0301_zps6b633fec.jpg[/url][/url]

Rocket

Reaction score
One more question. This is a 513 bell so it came from a 1970 RR. Will my 69 Z bar work?

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
I think that's a a body bell ? Not sure doesn't look like mine
Unless that piece comes off. The ball stud screws directly into the threaded hole on mine.
Can't wait to find out on this one :popcorn:

image.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's an adapter for a different body style as said above. Or maybe a column shifter from an A-body. Take it off and see if the ball will screw into the housing :huh:

Rocket

Reaction score
Thanks guys! The piece looks like I can remove it. I will tackle it as soon as the weather gets better(it's in my driveway).

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I'm guessing that's an adapter for a different body style as said above. Or maybe a column shifter from an A-body. Take it off and see if the ball will screw into the housing :huh:
:yeathat:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Rocket said:
Thanks guys! The piece looks like I can remove it. I will tackle it as soon as the weather gets better(it's in my driveway).

yeah I hate it when the roof leaks...

Rocket

Reaction score
The more I see the more confused I am. But the frame connection for the z bar is nothing like one I see on Brewers or Passon. The holes are perfectly lined up but not for a z bar. Totally confused.

[ATTACH=full]18035[/ATTACH]

IMG_0310_zpsb7270ce2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0311_zps2541e154.jpg
    IMG_0311_zps2541e154.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 1

moparmonk

Reaction score
Good Evening Rocket,
I replied to your post this morning and later went back to look at it but I could not find my post. I thought that maybe cause I am a newbie it may get filtered but maybe I just never hit the submit button. ( not the most computer literate) Anyway, I believe that you have a anti-theft device. As you know, 70 was the first year of the lockable steering column. It appears that the Federal Gov. were implementing some anti-theft tactics and I think that is what you have. The picture of the bell housing looks kind of like a automatic kick down linkage. There is also a lever coming out of the steering coulmn that hooks to it. Above the keyswitch there should(may) be a little lever that says something like "turn to release key" The shifter was supposed to be in reverse before you could get the key out. Also, one had to put the key in before you could get it out of reverse. Most of these were scrapped for more header clearance. (What a surprise, huh?) Was your car originally an automatic and someone switched the stuff out of a 70, maybe? Not sure why it would be in a 69... Ironically, pick up the August '13 edition of Mopar Action. There is a great article labelled "Chain Linked" that appears to be exactly what you have. Let us know if this is the case! If you can't find the mag, let me know and I will try and send you the article. I may have better luck rebuilding a 727, though! As mentioned, not a computer wizz! Good Luck!

Rocket

Reaction score
Thanks Monk,
I just found out today the bell is set up for a 70 car and the other bracket is for an automatic. I will have to weld on a linkage bracket to my frame. I really appreciate the guys from Brewer's for answering my question last night.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Rocket said:
Thanks Monk,
I just found out today the bell is set up for a 70 car and the other bracket is for an automatic. I will have to weld on a linkage bracket to my frame. I really appreciate the guys from Brewer's for answering my question last night.

Glad to here it! Keep us updated!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Rocket said:
Thanks Monk,
What in the world is an auto bracket doing on a bell housing :huh:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Rocket said:
Thanks Monk,

He is talking about the frame piece. Thats a column shift braket and the four speed one is welded to the frame. The piece on the bell housing is four the key release lever as explained earlier by monk.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
Rocket said:
Thanks Monk,

He is talking about the frame piece. Thats a column shift braket and the four speed one is welded to the frame. The piece on the bell housing is four the key release lever as explained earlier by monk.
Oh :D

Back