• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench Seat info?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Im still tossing around the idea of swapping out my buckets for a bench and trying to get a few questions anwsered before Carlile. My question what other cars/years shared the same seat?

I assume a 68 is likely the same but no head rests, and since mine is a 69 I want headrests, what about 70? Are there various types of benchs or if I find a 69 for a b-body are they all the same? Are there tell tale items to look for?

On a similar note are the headrests for buckets the same as for a bench? My buckets, which I believe are from a 69 dont have headrests, but I can feel the holes for them under the covers.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Early-build 69's did not have headrests...Mine is a Nov '68 SPD that came without them...However, when I recovered the seat, I did notice that it had head rest receivers in the frame...The seat cover had a Nov '68 date code, and was definitely original...Possibly the factory was "gearing up" for the changeover?

CWR

Reaction score
my '68 coronet bench seats had head rests (an option)

mannye

Reaction score
Mine is also a headrest delete early build (very early..August 68) and I think I can feel the sockets for headrests under there also, but I've never had the covers of to be 100% sure. I am pretty sure they were an option anyway. Although I have always wondered why someone would get all the "bling" options they did on my car what with the stripes and turn signal indicators and console and not get the headrests. I can only imagine they weren't offered yet.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
from what I keep hearing, the bench (and I assume buckets) all have the hardware in the seat to accept the headrest.They were an option starting in '68. You just need to add headrests and the chrome bezels. A seat from a '70 will work, BUT IIRC the '70s have the seat back release on the side, where the '68&9s are on the back.

glhcarl

Reaction score
Headrests were a option until January 1969 when they became standard. That is why the early 69 seats have the provisions for the headrests. It was cheaper to have provisions and not use them than build two different seats.

a6t9vette

Reaction score
ok so its sounds like chances are 68 and 69 are the same, but likely I wont find a 68 with headrests. Good info to know the 70 had the lever on the side of the bench. Are there any other telltale signs? Do the seats have part numbers that are visable as a means of ID, how can I ID a B-Body bench vs. other body styles?

Back