• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench seat issue

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I've got a bench seat in my RR right now. Only problem is that I really can't (neck issues) and don't want to be driving the car with no head rest. Not to mention when I get friends and family in the car and show off its power, everyone's gonna have a bad case of neck snapping whiplash without any head rests... What should I do about this?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You could get a later in the year bench or buckets. I have no idea if the early seat backs were set up for headrests but they might be since they were to be required later on. Also keep in mind bench and buckets had different head rests if you happen across some.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
just letting you know that my buddy was trying to sell a front bench seat core with head rests. so let me know

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
just letting you know that my buddy was trying to sell a front bench seat core with head rests. so let me know

Good core. I've seen it in the flesh...so to speak...

airgrabber666

Reaction score
I also had the same issue and wanted to add them to my '69 Runner (if not for safety, then for the looks). If not for my December '68 build date, the car would have them right from St. Louis. But as I discovered, the original front bench already came complete with everything under the upholstery for installation of headrests from the factory, including the white blocks the chrome bezels mount to. I am going from memory here, but I believe that all you need to retrofit them is the headrests, chrome bezels and bezel screws to put them in. Before I knew this I harvested the correct hardware, headrests, blocks, I mean everything from a junkyard car. When I went to the upholstery shop, they opened up the seat (my original black vinyl was toast) and all was there beneath the surface. Check yours out!

Back