• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bench seat keeps on coming unlocked

vso737

Reaction score
Has anyone had their BENCH seat come unlock while driving? Seems like it happens mostly during shifting or on an incline. Pretty scary since I can barely reach the clutch to engage it all the way when it happens and usually during shifting.

I assume it has something to do with the track loosing its engagement.

Will know more about it once I remove the seat and investigate further. I have only owned the car one week..............

Thanks,
Mike

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Most likely cause is the cable under the seat. It goes across to unlock the other side.

What happens is it gets too tight for one reason or another. First thing to do is look under the seat and see if there are old beer cans or shoes snagged on the cable. If nothing there, pull the seat out and take a look. It could also be the latch is sticking and not engaging well. Either way, it would be a good idea to grease things up while under there.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Oh yeah... the cable is adjusted by tightening or loosening the eye hook it goes through.

vso737

Reaction score
First of all, I want to thank you guys for the quick response. This is my first MOPAR and my favorite car ever since 1969..........Soooo, I don't have to tell you how thrilled I am to own this jewel.

The interior is in very good condition with new upholstery..........so the trash under the seat is out of the question.

I think that the LH (driver) side may have a spring missing by the lever. I noticed a hole in the mechanism..............I will have to investigate that further.

What is puzzling is that the seat moves forward and backwards and latches on real good. I try to move it and it stays put..........then while driving, all of a sudden during a heavy shift or an incline, the whole seat moves backwards...............

The car is going to the shop on Monday to have the TRANSMISSION swap done. Once I get it back, the seat is coming out for sure. I need to get this fixed!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the ejector seat option was only available in Florida.....

vso737

Reaction score
Oh yeah... the cable is adjusted by tightening or loosening the eye hook it goes through.

Thanks Big John............
I would have never guessed on how to do the adjustment.
The wire was extremely loose. I tightened it and thought I had the problem resolved until the return trip home. Again, with the wife and pups in the car, I punched it a little while on an upward incline and the entire seat let loose. GOOD thing that now it is an automatic and reaching the clutch was NOT an issue like before.
I only have one small spring on the lever on the drivers side and noticed a hole with nothing in it. I will have to investigate and see if I'm missing a spring.
I will be taking the seat out again and really check the tracks this time for any mechanical issues. GOT TO GET THIS THING FIXED.

Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

quikbird

Reaction score
definitely sounds like the track is not fully engaging. do both sides come loose or just one? or does one side start it loosening?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
one idea...if you adjust the seat, and never move it, unhook the wire and go for a ride. If the seat stays put, then you'll know it's an adjustment issue.

vso737

Reaction score
I thought I had both sides secured but my wife tells me she could feel the seat on her side moving when we were traveling. Once it pops out, the entire seat shoots backwards.

I will be taking a closer look at the track and especially the passenger side.

I may just do what was suggested.............remove the wire and see what happens.

I figure worse scenario is LOCKING it in so it will NEVER move...................

Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If you're the only one that drives your car, wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

vso737

Reaction score
SOLUTION:

At least I'm hoping it is. I removed the bench seat completely out of the car this time and inspected both tracks and locking mechanism. It appeared that the little SPRINGS that keep the locking mechanism in the track was TOO WEAK. I replaced both springs and it seems that now the seat remains locked in place much better.
WILL KNOW FOR SURE NEXT TIME I DRIVE IT...................

quikbird

Reaction score
There you go, not a good idea to keep dumping the wife into the back seat. That can lower the temp at home quickly.

Back