• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bench Seat Placement

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hey guys, anybody tried anything to move the front seat back a few inches? I'm 6'3" and really long legs and I gotta tell ya that driving her is not easy or comfortable. For the 1st to 2nd shift, I need to be sure my legs are together and away from the shifter. Not very comfortable. Any way to move it back? Anyone done it?

Thanks,

John

cj69RR

Reaction score
It would be pretty easy to do, there are just 4 studs on the seat tracks that go through other floor. You would have to figure out how far back you want the seat? Drill the holes and fill the original holes. Might have a issue with the seat belt though?

droptop

Reaction score
Being 6'6" I have done this many times. What I do is get 4 pieces of .25" plate steel cut in 5"x1.5". Drill 2 holes in each of the plates 4" apart. Take the seat out and remove the studs from the seat tracks and bolt the plates to the tracks using carriage bolts. Using carriage bolts again, bolt the tracks to the floor board. This will move the seat back 4 inches. The best part is you can reverse this with out any evidence to the car except the original bolts in the tracks will be carriage bolts. Don't use any thing less than .25" stock because it will not be strong enough.

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:
Being 6'6" I have done this many times. What I do is get 4 pieces of .25" plate steel cut in 5"x1.5". Drill 2 holes in each of the plates 4" apart. Take the seat out and remove the studs from the seat tracks and bolt the plates to the tracks using carriage bolts. Using carriage bolts again, bolt the tracks to the floor board. This will move the seat back 4 inches. The best part is you can reverse this with out any evidence to the car except the original bolts in the tracks will be carriage bolts. Don't use any thing less than .25" stock because it will not be strong enough.

That sounds great, thank you. 4" back would be awesome. Thanks again.

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:

Droptop, I don't suppose you have any pics of this configuration?

Thanks,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
droptop said:

Found a place www.metaldepot.com in Kentucky. Ordered 4 .25 x 1.5 x 5 plate steel. Delivered for $40, not to bad. Can't wait for the seat to be back. I guess the idea of this is I'll use the "front" hole in the steel plate to bolt to the floor pan and the "back" hole in the steel plate to bolt the seat to, thereby setting the seat 4" apart (or whatever distance between front and back holes).?

John

chapdog105

Reaction score
My 6' 6" self may need to so this too.
I could just do my drivers side bucket seat. The buddy seat and passenger seat may not line up correctly after though. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

Alex

droptop

Reaction score
chapdog105 said:
My 6' 6" self may need to so this too.
I could just do my drivers side bucket seat. The buddy seat and passenger seat may not line up correctly after though. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it...

Alex

I only do the driver side bucket. You have to adjust forward at shows and cruise ins, otherwise your seat looks like it is broken.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If I remember right, the bench seat tracks have an extra set of holes that you can use to set the seat back another inch. I know I did this in a 68 Chrysler and I think I did the same thing in a Roadrunner.

An inch doesn't sound like much, but I'm 6'2" and it was good for me.

Back