• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best sounding Mufflers?

72plymouth

Reaction score
What are the best sounding mufflers that have a deep sound and loud? I have new glass packs and sound ok but want a better sound......! Want that rumble but throatier....... what size pipes? 2'5 ?:eagerness:

quikbird

Reaction score
Pipe size depends on airflow , engine size etc. big block should probably be 2.5 " or better. Partial to warlock mufflers myself as have a straight thru part that can use cut outs on. :groucho:

Ranger

Reaction score
Mine had (still has) a set of Flowmasters on it when I bought it last Dec. Judging from the sound they must be a 40 series. Nice rumble at idle and they are loud.

EDIT:
I should add that they (40 series) have a loud drone at about 1800 RPM. I think that is even posted on the Flowmaster site.

Last edited:

cj69RR

Reaction score
Runner has 70 series flow masters but are mellow. On a different car I have hooker aero chambers and they have a good idle with rumble and then when you get on it they get loud!

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have Dynomax welded and have been happy with then

72plymouth

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! so many types out on the market! If you can't hear them its hard to pick one out!

72plymouth

Reaction score
We are way outside of Atlanta North up 75 hey can you video the car running so I can hear the sound?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I like the Dyno Max Super Turbo mufflers myself. I've used one brand or another of the "Turbo" muffler for years and always liked the tone. Similar to a stock Mopar sound but a little louder and deeper.

It all really depends on a lot of other things... Engine size, cam shaft etc. A muffler on one car might sound crappy on another.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I have the flowbastard super 44's 3" exhaust to the back TTI 2" headers. The drone was so loud I couldn't take it. So I pulled a trick from the Hemi play book and added 18" jones glass packs to the rear at the tail and all the drone is gone and the car sounds nice and tame until you hit the gas and it lights up like a nukes gone off :) lmao it's fun next up is a pair of electric cut outs for really pissing off the neighborhood.

If I had to do it over I and wanted to remain just tame in the city I would go with the Dynomax's or get the Dynomax race bullet for a really great beefed up sound. I think those sound the best out of all of them honestly.

Here check it out

http://www.dynomax.com/sounds-of-dynomax/

Ranger

Reaction score
Another trick that is supposed to take the drone out is to weld in a crossover pipe.

Coyote

Reaction score
Kool sound to one person is either noise or not what one thought it would be after installation. That's why there are so many choices. I'm like quikbird and use warlocks on my brand "C". The MOPAR came with Flowmasters welded on and I haven't changed 'em. My adult daughter loves(!) the sound, not my favorite. I don't know what series they are.
One of the absolute BEST sounding cars I've ever heard is Todd Holdren's AutoX '53 Buick. I've seen it run for years at GG events (LS power, Morrison chassis, almost always wins "Hot Rod" class). He's running Borla's. If you ever get a chance, give it a listen. IMO it has the sound and tone everyone tries for and never seems to get.

Last edited:

djais1801

Reaction score
i found a set i was going to put on (Black Widow) but at $250/ea. i decided on 40 series Flowmasters. I am very happy with the sound, added an H-pipe which quieted it down some, and with stock exhaust manifolds it's nice and quiet up front.

Back