• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bottom side of floor pans and wheel wells, what color?

Pintail

Reaction score
Will not be long and we will be painting the body of my daughters 73 RR, probably orange. What color on the underneath( bottom ) floor pans, below trunk, wheel wells. Engine bay and inside trunk will be orange. Thought about a black rust proof finish on bottom.I have read some articles on the overspray and dull sheen look to bottom but not full color from factory paint job? Thanks in advance on input!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
DSCN3090.JPG They went into a tank of rust resistant primer gray to dark gray depending on what was on hand far enough to coat the floor pan, I'm guessing about 9" up the fire wall, thus all of the holes in the bottom for drainage. In the paint shop the bottom only got over spray from painting the car in color. This is true up to 1970 but I can't imagine they changed through 73. So when you paint the rocker panels up to the pinch weld don't mask it off.

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Used rust proofer from east wood. Up to the fire wall line. Got an Under coat gun also from east wood with extension wand's and sprayed in all the frame rails. Then bed lined the hole bottom of the car. That is what I thought was the answer to rust problem. Looked like the under coating they put on it back in the day. Looking good so far and love that motor. It look's like it is going to turn out good for your girl. :thumbsup2:

Pintail

Reaction score
Used rust proofer from east wood. Up to the fire wall line. Got an Under coat gun also from east wood with extension wand's and sprayed in all the frame rails. Then bed lined the hole bottom of the car. That is what I thought was the answer to rust problem. Looked like the under coating they put on it back in the day. Looking good so far and love that motor. It look's like it is going to turn out good for your girl. :thumbsup2:

Thanks!

Back