• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Master Cylinder

zupanj

Reaction score
I could use some advice on my master cylinder. It's leaking and I am inclined to buy a new one but that may be easier said than done. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the master cylinder in their car. I ordered one from Pep Boys but when I pulled it out of the box, it looked totally wrong. In fact it looked like a Chevy part though it was the correct number. I sent it back because I want the car to look kind of original. Does anyone have a part number for a new master cylinder that looks right?

I am willing to rebuild it too but I assume it was rebuilt only a few miles ago so I am not sure the core is good. Though I might give it a try.

Thanks for your input.

Jack

V269

Reaction score
Bought mine at Napa here as well. No trouble getting it there. Manual brakes. As for the part number I'll see if I can find one.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've always gotten mine at my local Car Quest. He usually has either the bolt on lid, or the newer one with the clip.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I think the cover is the only difference and I think its interchangeable. If you have a good cover, you should be able to use it with the new m/c.

zupanj

Reaction score
John,

You have a good point. I bought one at Pep Boys but the cover was wrong so I gave it back. I never thought about switching covers. Duh!

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
Not sure either, but is the "divider" on the body of the master cylinder drilled for the other lid?

I've seen rebuild kits (Year One) I know, they're $$$, and I have friends who had good luck with these.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Car Quest sold me one that had the clip cap on it, worked just fine on a 69 Bee a few years ago.

I would look at an aluminum one and convert it to the two stud style.

Back