• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake swap

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Started the brake swap on the Scamp today. Got a lot done as a matter of fact, which makes me happy.

Here's a comparison of the 9" econo-brakes supplied with all slant 6 cars in 1972 and the 11X3's supplied with the big boys in 1969!
drums1.jpg

So far today I got the left side completed. I Used a set of 73 UCA's with the big upper ball joints, my 69 spindles/brakes and fresh 69 B body lower ball joints.
drums2.jpg

And the right side I just need to put the drum on and connect the brake hose. I had to modify both brake hoses where the connect to the brake lines. The A body ends had a flat spot where they fit into the bracket and the B bodies don't...
drums3.jpg

I still have a few thing to button up, get an alignment and pray the wheels fit OK. I'm still nervous about marrying 69 B body suspension to a 72 A body car... but it's been done by others, I needed big bolt pattern, AND I had the parts just laying around so.....

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Lookin good Chris but your going to need a bigger engine to pull the weight :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Lookin good Chris but your going to need a bigger engine to pull the weight :thumbsup:
It does look good Chris, and I was thinking you might need an extra windshield 'cause you may just go through it the first time you have to jam on those big drums! :jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
never seen anyone use a motorcycle to hold a car up........

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
never seen anyone use a motorcycle to hold a car up........
LOL, the shop I'm working in is a motorcycle restoration/customizing shop. He literally has motorcycles hanging from the rafters by chains!

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Well, the car made it home last night without killing myself or anyone else, so thats good.

My time at my friends shop was starting to dwindle, so I had to button stuff up pretty quick last night. I didn't feel comfortable asking for another day in there and he wasn't offering any help, so I just assume get my stuff and get out. I really could have use a second set of hands yesterday.

In a nutshell, I need to bleed my brakes a little better and readjust them, no big deal. However my alignment is WAY off. The car has the nastiest bump steer I've ever encountered, which doesn't matter I guess, it's going to the alignment shop tomorrow. I'll let them dial it in.

It was a nearly impossible to adjust the UCA's with the car on the ground. I had to keep raising it, make an adjustment, lower it, measure, raise, adjust, lower, etc.... I lost patients by the end of the day...

I'm also not 100% sure I like the wheels on there either (used slot mags)... I think they may stick out a little too far and can probably use a little more back spacing. Plus, I discovered I don't really enjoy uni-lug wheels.... they're a pain in the balls to mount! They're fine for now though. After the rear gets switched I'm going to order a brand new shiny set of wheels with tires and be done with it... I am NEVER going to peice together another set of wheels. It's all I've ever done in the past and it's a huge waste of time and money. From now on, just pick up the phone and have em delivered, brand new and ready to roll! :brickwall:

Back