• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

calling all six barrel users

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i was hoping that you could tell me what cam you are currently using and if you are happy with your choice. i am always thinking about what changes i can make to get the bird running (in my mind) better. spring is coming and i am trying to get my act together and if i decide to change i want to know that it is for the right reasons.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I had an older MP cam 284 duration with .484 lift.

I was never really happy with the cam.

moparstuart

Reaction score
I bought one from 440source for the birdible and it was way to big, Not roadable at all and i lost all vaccum . So i bought a replacement from summit ( really a crane grind cams) 6401 that a buddy is running and i love it . This is strickly a street car .

droptop

Reaction score
The summit 6401 is what I have in the 383 that is in the '66 300. Not as good at low rpm as I would like, but very drivable.

John69RR

Reaction score
Mac, I'm running a Comp Cams solid lift in mine. .551" lift I/E and 256º @ .050. 1.5 Crane ductile iron rockers. Center carb has 64 jets on both sides but I can not remember what color the diaphragm springs are at this time. A good friend of mine helped me set it up. No bog! Actually, Fast68 from Moparts specd out the cam for me.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i actually have the Mr. six pack cam, but for some reason i can't get the nerve to install it. it almost feels like i will be going backwards from the lunati 494/513 i have now.

Big John

Reaction score
mac said:
i actually have the Mr. six pack cam, but for some reason i can't get the nerve to install it. it almost feels like i will be going backwards from the lunati 494/513 i have now.

Ahh... the double secret you don't need to know what it is cam....

Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. If Mr Sixpack is as eager to share what he knows as they say he is, then why doesnt he want anyone to have any idea what the cam is?

If I get one in my greasy hands, its gonna get checked.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
mac said:

Ahh... the double secret you don't need to know what it is cam....

Something about it just rubs me the wrong way. If Mr Sixpack is as eager to share what he knows as they say he is, then why doesnt he want anyone to have any idea what the cam is?

If I get one in my greasy hands, its gonna get checked.

Mac touched off a small firestorm the other day on the Lift Off Hood Playground by trying to get the secret recipe... :lol: Mac - I thought Steve Cool was going to ask for your address so he could come over and fight you in the driveway... :crazy:

I can see both sides of it; Bob has done the heavy lifting on this so he's entitled to whatever degree of proprietary ownership he wants...and we as the consumer want to know what the hell is going into our prized cars. Irresistible force meets immovable object. I ordered one the other day despite my misgivings about not knowing exactly what it is...because I do know that it is the closest thing to an orginal A12 cam that I can get...and they obviously work because you've got guys running low 12s with them all day long. Not to mention that they idle like a stocker and pull 18-19 inches of vacuum at idle...which is what I want...

BTW, Bob told me the other day that the curent issue camshaft is the third incarnation since he introduced these back in '88. He has continued to tweak/refine the profile but at the same time making sure not to cross the boundry that would prevent the cam from being used in the Pure Stock drags.

I'd love to know the specs too...

:jester:
Ray

mac

What ?
Reaction score
"Mac touched off a small firestorm the other day on the Lift Off Hood Playground by trying to get the secret recipe... Mac - I thought Steve Cool was going to ask for your address so he could come over and fight you in the driveway... "

if you go back to that thread in the lift off hood forum you will notice that i did not do any provoking after kidsixpack made his comments. he feels the need to defend his friend (bob). i am only trying to get the best info to make a better choice of cam.

so much for that. :rolleyes: anyway, almost all the info i have seen is that to get a close to stock motor with stock manifolds to run well is to develop torque at low rpms. this seems to suggest cams with a wide lobe sep angle around 115 degrees. the lift seems to be around .480" with the cam being instaled at 110 degrees. this will develope high torque, high vacuum, and a smooth idle. most aftermarket cams with don't advertise cams with the high sep angle. they are usually going for hotter setups for street/strip cars that develope power at higher rpms.

so i need to make the choice. do i stick with an aftermarket cam and try to tune my heart out to get it to run ok, or replace it with the Mr sixpack cam for a more stock cruise friendly ride. :huh:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mac said:
if you go back to that thread in the lift off hood forum you will notice that i did not do any provoking after kidsixpack made his comments.

Absolutely. He was a little aggressive and you sidestepped him perfectly. Hopefully you did not think that I was implying that you did anything wrong; you clearly did not!

One more option: Run 1.6 rockers on the MR. 6 Pak cam. Bob said you lose a little low-end responsiveness but that it really wakes up the cam on the upper end. Keep in mind that the stock rockers are usually about 1.41 or 1.42 so this provides a pretty good lift increase. We know his cams factor in the lift shortfall brought on by the stock rocker so that when measured at the valve by any sanctioning body the lift reads as the stock advertised lift; couple this with the increased lift using a 1.6 rocker and I'd bet your pretty close to your current Lunati specs as far as lift. Bob also stated that the 1.6 rocker will very nearly duplicate roller performance because of the ramp profile on his cam. We don't know the LSA, but as your research indicates this must be fairly wide as everyone reports monster vacuum at idle with this cam. I'd give it a try - and use the 1.6 rockers. This is what I plan to do.

And quit starting fights, will ya???

Big John

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mac said:
if you go back to that thread in the lift off hood forum you will notice that i did not do any provoking after kidsixpack made his comments.

Absolutely. He was a little aggressive and you sidestepped him perfectly. Hopefully you did not think that I was implying that you did anything wrong; you clearly did not!

One more option: Run 1.6 rockers on the MR. 6 Pak cam. Bob said you lose a little low-end responsiveness but that it really wakes up the cam on the upper end. Keep in mind that the stock rockers are usually about 1.41 or 1.42 so this provides a pretty good lift increase. We know his cams factor in the lift shortfall brought on by the stock rocker so that when measured at the valve by any sanctioning body the lift reads as the stock advertised lift; couple this with the increased lift using a 1.6 rocker and I'd bet your pretty close to your current Lunati specs as far as lift. Bob also stated that the 1.6 rocker will very nearly duplicate roller performance because of the ramp profile on his cam. We don't know the LSA, but as your research indicates this must be fairly wide as everyone reports monster vacuum at idle with this cam. I'd give it a try - and use the 1.6 rockers. This is what I plan to do.

Now that makes a lot more sense to me.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mac said:

hey i'm a lover not a fighter. :devil:

mcmopar

Reaction score
I wonder how that cam would run in a hot 383 4 bbl? Seems to me it would work well with my 10.5:1 (+/-) compression and 1.6 roller rockers. I'm currently running the Comp XE275-HL10 which specs at 231/237 degrees @ .050 with a c/l of 110 degrees and lift of .525". With the 1.6 rockers it comes in at .560" lift but vacuum is a paltry 10-10.5 hg at idle. It runs ok and I can lope it around town at 30 mph in 4th gear but it is quite hungry and can be a bit too much at times.
My only concern would be high cylinder pressures resulting in more ping/detonation problems. I finally have the setup running on 87 octane fuel with no ping and no Max Lead 2000 additive. Does this guy have a website or any contact info so I can chat him up?

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like the LSA is no longer an unknown component of the equation...clearly listed at 116*. Just about what we were guessing, +1*.

Bob, which camshaft did you put into that engine with the funny vavle covers?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Looks like the LSA is no longer an unknown component of the equation...clearly listed at 116*. Just about what we were guessing, +1*.

Bob, which camshaft did you put into that engine with the funny vavle covers?
Mopar, the car is bone stock. The only thing I might do is use Accurates high flow Hemi mufflers, but then again they look stock.

Back