• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cam choice

Ron

Reaction score
i am installing a comp cams extreme energy hydraulic roller cam in my new engine build xr280hr .541/537 lift 280/288 duration 110 lobe seperation angle. has any one installed this cam in their engine i am hoping it will have a decent thump to it. cant find a video on youtube with this cam selection, i have already purchased this cam, thanks for any feedback

James Kelly Heaton

Old Runner Lover. Building a 68 6.4 Hemi TR6060
Reaction score
I took a steel crank Winnebago 440 with 40k miles on it. Put a set of small chambered Edelbrock E Street aluminum heads and a Lunati Voodoo Cam & Lifter Kit BB Chrysler - .494/.513 10230703LK (268/272 @.50) cam in it. Running the hypo manifolds with a 4 speed and 2.5 inch mandrel exhaust. Also added a Pertronix III in the distributor and Flamethrower coil. Sounds awesome and has super crisp throttle response. I used Thrush welded chambered mufflers and an X pipe. Needed to be able to idle with an AC compressor in Texas heat and not run hot. I used the Mopar cam with 306 degrees of duration in another motor and an automatic. Cam was too much for the kind of driving I do. I went back to the Mopar Purple shaft in that car. Hope you get what you're looking for?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Comp. Cam in my 383 tried to stay as close to the purple cam as I could. Comp. hooked me up with the right cam. Flat tappets. No roller's.

Ron

Reaction score
Actually it does have good vacuum i talked to a guy at 440 source because i am installing a power disk brake setup it was their best choice for the street with 2400 stall snd 3:91 gears im just hoping for a little lopy sound

droptop

Reaction score
With only a 110 degree lobe separation, you be close to having both valves open at the same time and that will create very little vacuum at idle. Good luck.

V.R.D

Reaction score
if you have 10 inch of vacuum i will be surprised. call crane cams and tell them what you want the car to do and drive and they will tell you witch cam to use for your engine.

Ron

Reaction score
I have allready purchased this cam from 440 source its rpm power range is 2200 to 6200 with vacuum for brakes i hope they are right im going to call someone from comp cams as i still have to purchase roller rocker arms and shaft assembly im trying to build a 450 hp motor

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
if you have 10 inch of vacuum i will be surprised. call crane cams and tell them what you want the car to do and drive and they will tell you witch cam to use for your engine.
Crane is no more. Now part of Comp Cams. Which is owned by IOP - same as Edelbrock and others.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i called and talked to crane cams 1 year ago and they ground me a cam for my 451 with pro-flow 4 xt . my point is that a cam company will tailor a cam shaft for what you want . i don't like an off the shelf cam i want a different center line and over lap.

Back