• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I drop a small block 318 in a RR?

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I've got a bored over high performance 318 that runs great and really no where to put it. I was just going to save it in case I ever found a nice Dart or Satellite to put it in. BUT - since the 383 is giving me headaches, I was curious if I could just drop the 318 into the RR until I get done with the 383 (God only knows when...) or until I find a working 440. Would the motor mounts line up? I know they did 318s in 1969 Satellites but I don't know if the mounts are in the same position or what. It'd be a hell of a waste of a good Chrysler engine and the RR to not put these two together until I get something better.

:drive:

Lemme know what y'all think.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
K-Frame is the same, that's the big one. The lower part of the mount is the same, but the upper is different (I think). If you have an automatic trans, you have two choices. One is the 904 trans that usually came in those cars. You'd also need a different (longer) driveshaft. Second and better choice would be a small block 727. You could retain the same driveshaft, shift linkage etc.

If you have a stick, you'd just need a small block bellhousing.

Its not a bad option, but think about the added costs of the transmission before you decide.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
The 318 has an auto tranny on it right now (which can be taken off and put away). I haven't checked to see what kind it is. The RR has a 4spd which I would much rather keep on the car. So all I really need is a 318 bellhousing then? I have one question that springs to mind with this. Obviously I need to get a new clutch package, plate and all that mess. Would it be a different (as in smaller or something) set for the clutch assembly for the 318 or can I buy the parts I need expecting the 383 in the near future, but use it with the 318? Or to phrase this more simply - Can I get the whole drive train ready for the 383, but just attach the 318 to it for now?

Big John

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the flywheel from the 383 will bolt to the 318.

You'll need to make sure the 318 crank is drilled for a pilot bushing, but it probably is.

dobie

Reaction score
It can be done, for sure. I'd still think a better option would be to find a BB motor and drop her straight in, with no hassles or worries about things matching up.

:drive:

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I'm still looking for a big block. But I have to do something with this 318 pretty quick, like within the next eight weeks. My wife doesn't want me turning the back yard into a parts yard. (because I would...) And the 383 is going to take me a lot of time to deal with. So this 318 might get a year or two use in the RR depending on how long it takes to get a 440 or 400 or something. Engine choices are seriously lousy in the mid-south. People have a record here for not taking care of vehicles and throwing stuff away... Folks just don't repair or keep old cars. Probably has a lot to do with the fact a lot of Southerners just don't have a lot of money. So they just drive stuff till it breaks, then they dump it in the weeds. I'm sure I will eventually find a good big block for the RR, but I'm not holding my breath for a quick find. So this 318 just makes sense until then.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Hey Confederate, drive to Indiana and I'll give you a good 383 block and crank. Use your rods, buy some pistons, use your heads and such and boom your up and running. I wouldn't do that for just anyone.......... :huh: :thumbsup:

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Sounds like a sweet deal to me. Road trip,Big Block,Free can't beat that :banana:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big John said:
I'm pretty sure the flywheel from the 383 will bolt to the 318.

You'll need to make sure the 318 crank is drilled for a pilot bushing, but it probably is.

The flywheels will interchange - but if you go this way you'll need to make sure that you get a flywheel & bellhousing that are intended to work TOGETHER, otherwise you'll have starter issues. There are two different flywheel diameters (10.5" & 11") and you'll need the correct bellhousing for whichever flywheel you use. 318s are internally balanced so you'll need one intended for this application, i.e. not one intended for a 360. Look for the 10.5" 130 tooth set-up - that's the one you want for this application.

Ray

Big John

Reaction score
The road trip might be worth it... What is it? 250 miles or so?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I meant to chime in on that too and forgot. Sounds like a sweet once-in-a-lifetime deal. I'm thinkin' Road Trip...

:thumbsup:
Ray

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I'm definitely considering this, Hoosier! You've got a very generous offer. :D So, I have a question related to this. I am wondering if I can use the wiring harness and other necessary parts like the starter from my '79 Dodge pickup in the RR. I'm having it scrapped soon, so I'm yanking as much off of its useful parts as possible. They're only 10 years apart and I know quite a bit stayed the same in that time span. I do not trust anything electrical whatsoever coming out of the RR. I'm considering most of it trash from the get-go just for safety reasons. If I gotta get a new electrical system, I will, but if I can reuse something that works just fine, I'd do that just as quickly.

Big John

Reaction score
I'd say that you would be better off not using the wiring harness from the truck. By the time you cut and spliced what was needed to make it work, you'd be no farther ahead then using the old one.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
That block and crank is not going anywhere. It is sitting here with your name on it. Just let me know. Why aren't you going to use your present wiring harness?

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Take up Hoosier Birds offer! It'll be a lot easier than trying to find a bellhousing to mate a 318 to your 4 speed trans. Gas is cheap right now, take advantage of it! Save the 318 for an A body...

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Sounds like a great plan fellahs. I'll put the 318 in a corner for a Dart or something if one comes up in my future.

It's about 450 miles to Hope from here so I will have to try and find a good chunk of time to try to get up there. :drive: Since I'm working like a dog lately, that may be a little while. But this is a hard offer to refuse! I do appreciate this quite a bit! :cheers: :cheers: I am not worthy. :worship: :worship: :worship:

Back