• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Car coming out of storage

Draser

Reaction score
My 69 has been siting dormant in the garage for a few years now. I have changed all the fluids but the fuel tank was dry. After adding some gas the car turns over but doesn't run. I have poured gas in the carb and in the fuel filter and it starts but quits after a few seconds. No gas seems to be getting from the tank. What should I do next? Does the fuel pump go bad after sitting for a while? Do the fuel lines get clogged when the gas dries up? Sorry to sound so stupid but any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

cj69RR

Reaction score
The pump could be bad. Put a test hauteur in line from pump to carb and see if you are getting any pressure. Should be a minimum of 4 psi. If not you have a bad pump. You can also get a couple feet of fuel line and run a line from the pump to a small gas can to help rule out the pump and see if the lines are good or bad. Keep us posted. Id also put a new fuel filter in line before trying anything.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Draser said:
Do the fuel lines get clogged when the gas dries up?

Very possibly. If it sat long enough the gas could have turned into a gummy, varnish-like substance that will have your fuel lines seriously clogged up. You might try disconnecting the fuel line from the inlet side of the fuel pump and blow some compressed air through the line back to the tank to see if it is open. Just don't get crazy with the air pressure...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site! pop up to the intro section and tell us about yourself. and we'll need pics of yor '69! :cheers:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
The sock on the end of the pickup could also be pluged up.

Back