• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cluster Light Problems

mikerr

Reaction score
I removed all the sockets from the back of the cluster and changed all the blubs. I still only have one light working around the speedometer and odometer. The light behind the odometer lights a little but the speedometer does not light up. I tested all the blubs and only found one bad in the area where there are 4 sockets. Is there any other testing I can do to find the cause of no light? Looks like the sockets make contact with the traces on the back of the cluster. I have no way of knowing if these traces are bad. I was just thinking about installing some kind of light kit and tap into the headlight swith for power. Any ideas ? Do they sell light kits if the cluster traces go bad ? I did some searching around the net but could not find anything. I still did not take out my dimmer switch to clean it could that be the issue ? Thanks

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
definatly could be the dimmer switch. I've never had any trouble with the circut board.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Get yourself a multimeter and check voltage at the runs. Work back to the switch....

Or start at the switch and work out to the runs....

If you have some lights working, it might be an issue with the board. Figure this out first, report back and if it's the board, that can be fixed easily... well most of the time it can be.....

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I had to replace the circuit board on my first runner. Several traces were burnt through and also the connection traces where the bulbs twist on were so torn up that when a bulb was installed it never made contact. Hope this is not your problem but you may find it is. Like Big John suggested checking with a meter will.

mikerr

Reaction score
Makes sense. I will see what the voltage is at the traces where the sockets make contact. I did not think about doing that. Thanks. It maybe awhile before I can get time to work on the car again but I will be sure to report back :) The traces on the board looked in good condition but I will need to test to be sure.

dmartin

Reaction score
Get yourself a multimeter and check voltage at the runs. Work back to the switch....

Or start at the switch and work out to the runs....

If you have some lights working, it might be an issue with the board. Figure this out first, report back and if it's the board, that can be fixed easily... well most of the time it can be.....

Big John what do you recommend cleaning the panel dimmer switch with you mentioned something that you buy at Advanced Auto Parts

Back