• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch Chatter

rollie

Reaction score
My 383 stroker 496 in my 69 Roadrunner produces almosy double the horsepower than the original, so all new parts were added from the engine to the A833 transmission. We've tried three different set-ups with Centreforce single and dual clutch and finished with a Ram clutch. But we still have lots of chatter, especially in reverse or when turned sharp and starting to move the car forward. Motor mounts and transmission mounts are all tight and solid. Rear end is 3:23.

Has anyone tried a combination that works. Clutch doesn't slip when engaged but chattering getting worse. If you have a combination that is solid, please let me know, starting with each part from the flywheel back, including the flywheel. Many thanks.

rollie

Reaction score
Flywheel was machined before installation. Will examine it again when everything torn apart. Will also inspect clutch fingers.

quikbird

Reaction score
Check springs in the disc, and all parts very carefully. I know it's obvious but people miss stuff all the time.

Coyote

Reaction score
Oh boy, diagnosis can be a REAL pain. Have you checked alignment/runout on bellhousing/scattershield? Motor mounts can look ok, with that HP even good looking ones could be some of it if they are are the way out:greedy_dollars:. Quikbird is using a Ram flywheel with Mcleod dual disc in his. It works well enough at his HP level I bought the same stuff for my AutoX/drag 55 brand C (serious sbc, 2 HARD seasons and drive anywhere) I've bought the same for my fresh 440 that's just about stuffed in the car. Pretty serious bucks, but the combo has worked well for me.

WVmarv

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad crank pilot bushing to me. It's probably egg shaped. I had it happen to me once.

Coyote

Reaction score
Hopefully!

Sounds like a bad crank pilot bushing to me. It's probably egg shaped. I had it happen to me once.

That would be GREAT if that was his problem. Other than having to pull everything out, that's about the most inexpensive fix. GOOD LUCK!

Back