• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Compression Numbers

dobie

Reaction score
Here's a picture of the compression numbers for my 383. We did this on Saturday. Cylinder #4 was re-tested wet and nothing changed, indicating no valve problems.

Anyways, what say the experts here?

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well I 'm no expert,but from what I remember, they all seem to be close as far as the readings. so that's better then one or more way different form the others.
now I'll step aside and let those who know have the floor.....

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dobie - I'm no expert but here's my :cents: :

1) I agree with your conclusion after the wet test on #4 - I was always taught that if the number went up significantly that this was indicitive of a problem with the rings. Little or no change meant everything was likely in good working order.

2) The difference between the cylinders is what to really watch for (yours vary from a low of 140# to a high of 160#) and you only have a max deviation of 14%.

3) Based on my #2 comment above I would not be the least bit concerned about cylinder #4 being a little lower than the others - the overall numbers and their range are of greater importance.

Ray

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The numbers look good to me also.

dobie

Reaction score
Sounds great! That was our conclusion too, but second opinions are always a good thing!

Thanks!!

:thumbsup:

hotrod98

Reaction score
I thought that re-testing wet with no change indicted no ring problems. On a cylinder re-tested wet with no change would indicate a valve problem. I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be though.
Your numbers look okay to me.

dobie

Reaction score
Well, I was told that wet testing with change indicated a valve problem. No change could either mean a ring problem, or that that cylinder is fine, with just low(er) numbers.

Who knows. :huh:

Thanks!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If the pressure goes up when tested wet, it indicates a ring problem. The oil seals the rings.

moparstuart

Reaction score
it's a good motor from your number go ahead and use it
maybe use some of that restore stuff , it fills the cyclinder wall cracks , scratches and may even out your compression ratio's

dobie

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification and information. In the next few months I'm gonna put on a set of re-worked 906 heads, headers, and an XE-274H cam.

Hopefully this set up will last a few years, until I can afford to either do a full rebuild on this 383, or a rebuild on my 440 block.

:drive:

Back