• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Control Arm and pivot shaft problem

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
I have a 68 RR I rebuilt the front end on. New steering, pitman, control arm bushings and tie rod ends. I have a problem with the steering tightening up when I adjust the ride height,
With the torsions bars out of the front I noticed when I turned the Control arm pivot shaft up, or putting more tension in the torsion bar the entire brake drum moved inward over 1/16" of an inch, both sides did the same thing.
I am going to assume this it not correct and I have worn torsion bar pivot as it IS affecting the steering. The Pivot shaft is acting eccentrically.

Has anyone had this problem before? Assume I need to replace the pivot shaft.

Stephen Hotz

Reaction score
Just a thought but if the suspension was unloaded when the adjustments were made and the suspension has not settled back out from driving a little ways it can look off.

HotRod20

Reaction score
Yes just went through that, my pivot shaft was worn and oblonged. Front end would pull to left when the brakes were applied.
New Pivot shafts and Bushings will solve that problem. Oh and adjust the ride height BEFORE you torque the pivot shaft nuts to spec.
HotRod20

Back