• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Correct shifter handle (4 speed) for my 69 RR?

Smokngun

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm starting to go through the boxes of parts that are my Roadrunner. I pulled out the Hurst Competition Plus shifter and what appears to be the original brown plastic shifter ball. Problem is, the threads are different. Shifter handle is threaded 3/8 x 16, and the ball is 3/8 x 24. The shift lever is a common longer "2 bend" flat bar type chrome Hurst lever, but I've seen pictures of 69's with a round rod type lever with just one bend.

Which style is correct? Not really doing a restoration but would like to know. My car is a bench seat very low option car.

Secondly, was a pistol grip shifter ever available in a 69? Or was this an A12 or 1970+ shifter?

Thanks all!

Mike.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Pistol grip was 70 and up.

Never on an A12.

Smokngun

Reaction score
Thanks guys, that's what I suspected but needed confirmation. I may keep the shift lever I have as it may be a bit easier to reach (it's taller than the round rod lever) but I'll have to figure something out for a shifter boot that will mount as original but fit the flat bar shift lever.

I've just seen so many pistol grip shifters on everything that it was tough to know what was and wasn't correct. I've seen them in many A12 cars but they are obviously transplants.

I also read (in only one place) that on 69 RR's automatic cars came with color keyed carpet, but 4 speed cars only came with black carpet regardless of the interior color. However, everyone that makes/sells carpet, sells colors for 4 speed cars. Again, I'm not "restoring" this car, but I want it to at least "look" correct at first glance.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
pretty sure you could get colors (other than black ) for four speeds.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
wonder why. fine with me, black is what I've had for 30 years, mostly four speeds and two girlymatics.

mahoney0_00_3

Reaction score
I had a 1969 rr 4 sp with t7 t5 gut and it had a black rug?green out f8 4 sp and a 1969 hemi med green med green gut black rug again both cars are under 50,000 miles- and I have a 4sp conv rr all #match/t5 t7 inside green out black rug/hope that helps AL

Back