• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

cross member

rkb2

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
New to the site and lookin for info. I'm working on my 69 RR and I have parts that have been put up for 20+ years. My car was originally an automatic but had been switched to a four speed when I got it back in 1981. I've never got it going but am getting close now. Anyway- I have two crossmembers, 1 is mostly straight with a place for mount between the rails and the other is the same with an additional pocket off the side. It looks like the one could be used for either but I'm trying to make it look right. Which one is for a four speed? Thanks Ron

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Welcome Ron!
the one with the extra pocket is for the automatic.
how about pics of your project!

dobie

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Welcome Ron!
the one with the extra pocket is for the automatic.
how about pics of your project!
Yep. What he said.

:thumbsup:

rkb2

Reaction score
Thanks, I had guessed that but saw both kinds for sale as 4 spd and wanted to be sure before I spent too much time cleaning and painting. I tried to get some pics on here but it failed saying they were too big. I have kodak software, any suggestions and I will gladly get some on and take some new ones as well.

John69RR

Reaction score
Welcome Ron. :cheers: To downsize pictures I use the Windows Paint program. Open the folder with your pictures in them. Right click on the picture link. On the dropdown click on "open with", then click paint. The picture will open in paint. Then go to the menu bar and click on "image" and then "resize/skew". You will need to rename the picture then save it to your computer for posting. Hope this helps. That is how I downsize. I am sure there are other ways also. Kodak may have a program also.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
something I've thought, but never able to check on , is I think the auto crossmember will work for the 4 speed. IIRC, the auto member has the same mounting hole for the rubber mount, so you would just need to cut off the extra piece. the auto member is usually cheap, while the 4 speed one can get pricey.

dobie

Reaction score
Pricey no doubt. I looked for 2 years at Carlisle and couldn't find one. The few I did find were $250 IIRC. Finally, 2 years ago I found one at the Nats for $100. In the end, I swapped him my auto one and $50.

rkb2

Reaction score
I was told when I was a kid that you could spin the crossmember around and use it for either one but figured if they had two different ones one of them had to be right. I don't even think you have to cut the auto up just turn it. But I have never tried to be sure. :lock:

Back