• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dash light help, yes another dash light question....

stevo

Reaction score
Ok I know this has been covered but I am new to my 69 Road Runner, I am just putting the wraps on a 13 year restoration (its a long story) and I have an electrical bug.
OK....When I have the lights switch in the park and lights position my right hand turn signal light stays on.
When I use the turn signals it blinks just fine but stays on after I have moved the turn signal lever to neutral.
The left hand turn signal blinks just fine too, but this one only blinks when i use the turn signals.
If i have the lights switch in the off position and the key is in the right spot both signals work fine....
Here is my question....should the left hand turn signal light be on as well as the right one when I have the switch in the park position?
or how can I get the right hand signal dash light to juts work when i am using the signal?

I have gone over the grounds, I might have missed one and the signal switch in the column is new.
any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

mac

What ?
Reaction score
i think there is a bad ground still. try this. one at a time remove the bulb first at the front right directional in the bumper. see if the light goes out in the dash with the head light switch in the on position. if not replace the bulb and repeat at the rear stop tail light. start with this and see if it changes anything. if it does you have a bad ground at that location. it sound like it is back feeding through the bulb trying to find its own ground.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
I went through this it was a bad connection in the turn signal cam in the steering wheel. Cleaned and lubed it and it works fine now. Another thing that will cause this I found out is a bad flasher relay.

Collin

Reaction score
I just did this this week to my car. I took off the front turn signal housing, sanded down the top of the housing and reattached it to the bumper. It just had a bad ground between the housing and bumper. That solved our problem immediately.

stevo

Reaction score
Thanks again guys I have a few things to try out.
really appreachate the help!

stevo

Reaction score
It's Fixed!
thanks Mac and Collin.
In the end it was a bad ground....
So this is how it was fixed.
1st sanded down the top of the turn sig housing where it bolts to the bumper, sanded the bumper where it meets the turn sig.
result, dash light still on.
2nd did the bulb trick (thanks Mac) and found that the fault was at the turn sig in question.
3rd saw that the bulb was not on, moved the bulb around in the socket and it came on. checked the dash and YES the light was out.
put the cover back on, put the tools away and checked one last time.
Dang the dash bulb was lit again wtf?
4th checked the bulb at the sig and it was out again? wiggled it and it cam back on?
The cause of the short was a loose fit between the bulb socket and the turn sig housing.
as soon as I turned the socket to make a tight fit to the housing the short was gone....

thanks again for your help...

and on a side note if you live in Ontario, Canada please check out Arm Drop Drags in Piction this Saturday.

Back