• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dipstick broke off in block

Rocket

Reaction score
Just noticed the dipstick is broken off even with block. Guy had RTV around the base. Anyway, I was thinking putting a screw in there and driving it out with vice grips and a hammer. Or maybe an EZ out? What say ye ?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Rocket said:
Just noticed the dipstick is broken off even with block. Guy had RTV around the base. Anyway, I was thinking putting a screw in there and driving it out with vice grips and a hammer. Or maybe an EZ out? What say ye ?
A SCREW WOULD EXPAND IT......YOU NEED A MAYBE A FLAT HEAD SCREW THAT THE HEAD JUST FITS INSIDE THERE AND TRY TO WORK IT OUT WITH THE HEAD ON A DENT PULLER OR SMALL SLIDE HAMMER.....MAYBE EVEN PUT SOME HEAT ON THE BLOCK AROUND BROKE OFF PART TO EXPAND BLOCK....THIS WILL MAKE IT EASIER TO REMOVE IT

mcmopar

Reaction score
You mean the dipstick tube, right? As mentioned above, a flat head screwdriver driven down into the tube might work. You can twist it and perhaps get it out but the best way to get it out is to drop the pan and drive it out from underneath. It will pop right out. Yeah, it is a lot of work and will cost you some cash for gaskets but it is the best way IMO. :cents:

Rocket

Reaction score
Well I decided to try a 7mm-10 tap, i stuck it on the tap wrench. Stuck my estwing crowbar and one hit from my framing hammer and it was out! Thank God! I was really stressed out about this. Thanks!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Rocket said:
Well I decided to try a 7mm-10 tap, i stuck it on the tap wrench. Stuck my estwing crowbar and one hit from my framing hammer and it was out! Thank God! I was really stressed out about this. Thanks!

Glad it worked! Sure was a whole lot less work than what I had in mind...

Back