• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dome Light Socket Problem

MsBeep

Reaction score
IMGP0682.jpgIt shouldn't be so tough to change a light bulb...
I haven't had the dome light assembly apart since the new headliner went in, and wanted to find out why I couldn't seem to remove the #1004 bulb from the socket. No simple twist to the left and pull with this socket, it was well and truly wedged on one side. :brickwall:
I picked up an aftermarket dome/map light socket that would do the job, but it does not have the retainer clip that the original incorporated to hold the socket in place, in the lamp housing. Comparing the new socket to what I have in the car I also noticed that the OE socket has the disc below the springs and that it doesn't seem to compress the brass contacts and springs evenly when the bulb is inserted. The jobber version has a plastic disc situated on top of the contacts and springs, and its action is smooth whether inserting a bulb or releasing one.
Has anyone fixed this kind of socket trouble? Here is another picture of what I'm working on:
IMGP0681.jpg

IMGP0681.jpg

IMGP0682.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you can't even take your car out of the garage, you don't need a working dome light....:acme::jester:

MsBeep

Reaction score
:eek:rly:

That's like saying: "since you have a Mexican credit card, why do you need a gas can?":bart::bart::bart:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'd just pick up an original and return the Chinese copy.

MsBeep

Reaction score
I'd just pick up an original and return the Chinese copy.

Original dome lamp housing socket and wire harness assembly not found locally (yet) and I won't buy the rusty e-bay offerings IF I can fix the original. I still need someone to confirm where the disc that holds the contacts and springs is situated: above or below in the socket? The Taiwanese socket has one more chance to be helpful...just like you:horse:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I have a spare light for my truck, I'll hafta look and see if they are the same, if not maybe i could find one at The Nats for you?

MsBeep

Reaction score
Thanks for offering to look for parts at the Nats Dave :encouragement: I am so not wanting to splice and dice this socket...let me know if the one in your truck looks the same on the inside of the socket.

MsBeep

Reaction score
The socket from Hell is fixed. Needed tweaking with a pair of needle nose pliers and a new bulb to go back together and stay together. The original assembly is intact and functional; which makes me happy. Thanks for the help Dave! :biggrin:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, my feet aren't that big to bother showing.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
able to get the car outta the garage yet there Ms?:acme::acme::acme:

MsBeep

Reaction score
Nope. See pictures and comment in the thread I posted five days ago re: Headlamp Bezel Paint colour....
:nachos:

Back