• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

dont know where to start

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
heres my problem I got about 2grand to build a motor I have 383. I dont want a big race 9sec car ,just a cruiser to play now and then. the car will be a 4spd,man brakes and steering, with 355suregrip.any suggestions and poss spec /part numbers,or places to order the parts for a budget build

dobie

Reaction score
This is very similar to what I did. My 383 is an original 2 bbl motor, so it has the low compression pistons. Because of this, I couldn't go crazy with the cam choice. I used 906 heads which were ported and gasket matched. Hardened seats were used. The head gaskets are Mopar .20" steel gaskets to help bring up a tad bit of compression. The camshaft used is a Comp Cams XE274H. Split profile .488/.491 lift. Holley DP 650 carb. I have a 700cfm DP carb, but for some reason my car runs like crap with it. I've had it back many times to the builder and it seems like my car just doesn't like it. Slap the 650 back on, and she'll run like a raped ape. Go figure. Rear end is 3.91 sure grip 4 speed. No power anything. I also have Hooker Competition headers which I bought directly from Jett Hot. (I strongly recommend Jett Hot if you're gonna run headers. Expensive, but worth it IMHO.)

If I had it to do over again, I would've waited and saved for higher compression pistons. Not that I'm totally unhappy currently, but I suppose I should've waited. That said, the car feels like it'll get to 100 mph in 5 seconds flat........

I bought my cam from Summit racing. I tend to use them, as they're one of the cheaper places around. They'll price match as well, which is a plus. And, I'm only 30 minutes away from the Ohio store, so that makes it easy. Not including the cam and header cost, total $ for my current set up was $1400. That was for the shop to do everything... Pull the motor, install new rear main seal, cam, etc..., head work, then put everything back in with headers.

Anyways, that's mine in a nutshell. Good luck with yours, and keep us posted!!

:cheers:

moparchris

Reaction score
For some reason I love the low budg rebuild. So I will take a stab at it. All right I will assume your 383 is in decent shape and needs nothing replaced. One of the highest cost factors is whether or not you need pistons. Obviously pistons(KB-162, $325) will help in the compression department, unless its a high compression motor to begin with. So I will assume it has good high compression pistons. If it does not, save up some money to replace them. A poor clearanced motor will not run right and be a general pain in the you know where. Many guys here have done high quality budget rebuilds. Okay here is how it will lay out.

Block- 200 for cleaning, magnaflux, and hone.
Crank- $60 for polish.
Rods- $80 to resize big end
$58 for rod bolts ARP-145-6002
Rod bearings- $68 FEM-8-2320CP at Summit
Main bearings- $63 CLE-MS876P at Summit
Cam bearings- $22 CLE-SH876S at Summit
Rings- $50 at Jegs, 844-E233K30 Sealed power. I am sure there are file fits for it but I couldn't find a set on Summit racing.
Oil pump- $53 Part number Summit,MEL-M63 standard volume and pressure.
Cam kit- $420 for cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, locks, and timing chain.
Comp cams CCA-K21-306-4 summit part number. Nice lope but veery strong in the mid range. I have personally used this cam a few times and have been really satisfied.
Valve job- $160 includes clean, magnaflux, cut seats(for bigger valves), install oil seals, and hone guides
Valves- $170 2.14, 1.81 from Aerohead This is a price I paid last time I bought a set.
Fel pro gasket set from summit racing. I couldnt find anything I would figure around $100 for this.

Total - $1504. Plus tax.

At that price I would buy pistons to go with it. The pistons are going to run $325 plus $175 for balance and $80 to install unless you have full floating rods. I would also recommend home porting your heads. I have always ported my own heads with great success and its really easy. Well its labor intensive but not complicated. Its free horsepower and doesnt affect driveability any. Good luck and keep us informed of how it goes!

Back