• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fans

JJRJR

Reaction score
OK, so the new tech I found wired my fans so that they run as soon as the key is turned and only go off when I shut the engine down. His claim was that the engines run hot and that's how he's always done his HP Mopars. But, I just read the excert below from a Google search, so now it has me concerned that I should have the relays reconnected and only have the fans on at certain temp?

What do you guys think? Is it not good to have the fans running all the time? Will it kill my battery? Other damage as suggested in the article? Thanks, John

Input or a signal from the coolant temperature sensor and also the vehicle speed sensor determine when the fan needs to be on and off. Most technicians do not know these circuits and what they resort to is looping the cooling fan direct and run them all the time and as soon as you put on the ignition switch the fans are on. That is not right but can be done as emergency to get off the road to the workshop. Having your cooling fans running all the time has got two major effects that could prove costly.

• The first one is over-cooling an engine is very bad because there is no room or allowance for expansion which results into great wear of, most especially, the engine block and piston rings.

• The battery service life is shortened because the battery is meant to store electrical energy that is used when the engine is not running. When the cooling fans run all time they always drain voltage from the battery as it is charged. This stresses the battery and makes it weaker and weaker.

• The cooling fans too are stressed by the constant running. It wears out the contact brushes and the over-heating of the fan armature which sometimes leads to burning of the field windings.

If your cooling fans are running all time when you turn on the ignition switch then you need to fix it very fast. If not, you could be buying a battery in the next few months. In a worse case, your car will start to smoke due to wear and its fuel consumption will slightly rise

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Yep there is a reason for them. At highway speeds they act like a dam, the air speed is greater than the fan can handle so now the fan has more resistance so the electric motors work harder building up heat and not allowing the battery to take a good charge.

moparstuart

Reaction score
I have My dual pushers on a toggle switch so i can turn them on and off at will
but for the most part I run mine 24 / 7 when i'm driving the car . I do have the quite restrictive nose cone . My 2 cents

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
my relays were wired from the alternator to the relays so i got 14 volts.....and had a toggle switch so i could turn them off when i didn't need them

had those junk flex-lite fans then went to the best.....spal....lost one motor replaced then another then throw out all that crap and when back to stone age.....mopar mechanical water pump ...flex fan with shroud and be cool radiator and runs 180 all day

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
had those junk flex-lite fans then went to the best.....spal....lost one motor replaced then another then throw out all that crap and when back to stone age.....

I have had the flex-a-lite fans on my Z-28 since the late '90's, and on the Duster since 2006 or 2007...never had a bit of trouble... :popcorn:

JJRJR

Reaction score
Just brought her home. 190 degrees, 14 volts, 55 psi oil. Fuel leak fixed, idles nice. Runs great. 40 miles at 3,000 rpm, all good. Fingers crossed...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
Just brought her home. 190 degrees, 14 volts, 55 psi oil. Fuel leak fixed, idles nice. Runs great. 40 miles at 3,000 rpm, all good. Fingers crossed...
That's good news, now you just have to keep drivin' it to make sure everything is finally fixed! :thumbsup:

Back