• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Yea.. yea... It's not a Roadrunner..

That out of the way....

I'd like to add an electric fuel pump for starting my 300. 440 with a thermoquad (for now).

What I want is a pump I can put in the fuel line, turn it on only when the car has set for a few days to fill the fuel bowls, making the car much easier to start. Then it will get turned off and the mechanical switch will take care of pumping duties.

So... what I need is a pump that will let fuel flow through it freely most of the time when it's not working.

Any suggestions??

zupanj

Reaction score
John,

Here is what I used.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crt-p74029/overview/

Note the hose barbs are 3/8". I put it next to the tank in-line and in front of the mechanical pump. I thought this worked well but now I think I would have used a pump with more capacity if I were doing it again. I made some changes after installing the pump so I don't know which variable is important. I put in a 3/8" line with a 1/4 " return and a vapor separator as well. I started the car the other day after it sat for about 2 weeks. I let the pump run for 60 seconds and then tried to start the car. It still took 2 1/2 minutes before it started.

Roof man

I'm putting on a sticker that going to say these s
Reaction score
Mine has a plate over the block mounted fuel pump and I run a holly pump. It always starts right up but man is it noisy. I even insulted the trunk it helped a little. 440

moparchris

Reaction score
Electric fuel pumps in nature dont allow fuel to flow through them freely. You would need to hook one up in parralel with your current system to do it poperly and have a check valve to keep from backflowing the mechanical side while you prime the system.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Electric fuel pumps in nature dont allow fuel to flow through them freely. You would need to hook one up in parralel with your current system to do it poperly and have a check valve to keep from backflowing the mechanical side while you prime the system.

I was thinking about something like that. :drive:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Yea.. yea... It's not a Roadrunner..

That out of the way....

I'd like to add an electric fuel pump for starting my 300. 440 with a thermoquad (for now).

What I want is a pump I can put in the fuel line, turn it on only when the car has set for a few days to fill the fuel bowls, making the car much easier to start. Then it will get turned off and the mechanical switch will take care of pumping duties.

So... what I need is a pump that will let fuel flow through it freely most of the time when it's not working.

Any suggestions??

http://aftermarket.federalmogul.com...aspx?BrandId=39&SubCategoryId=4&ProductId=487

Here's a link to the pump I've always used. It's a basically what I call a helper pump. Fuel passes thru when not energized. It's solenoid-design is relatively quiet, and you leave your mechanical pump installed. It's mainly just to help with quick start-ups after the car sits a spell. I wire it with an in-line 5 or 10a fuse to a hot (with the key in "run") terminal on the back of the fusebox - no switch is needed as it only works when needed. It also maintains very low "carb-friendly" pressure-something like 6psi-so you don't have to worry about it over-powering the needle & seat. Simply turn the key to "run", let the pump run for 5 or 10 seconds (you'll hear a slight thumping sound as the internal solenoid operates), pump the pedal once or twice and crank her up. Once running, the mechanical pump does most of the work. It also helps keep the bowls full by assisting the mechanical pump for that occasional go-pedal application! I mount it high on the rear shock cross member, mostly for convenience, but also to keep it somewhat close to the tank. The Carter part number is: P74029.

FUEL PUMP.jpg

Last edited:
Back